[SOLVED] When turning on PC Temps go up to 100 then after 3 mins drop down to 30s. Fans are full on from the start. Any Clue what this may be?

Dec 11, 2020
Hey Guys and Gals,

So I have a custom-built rig running some Old and New hardware. I've just realised this morning that when I turn on my PC the CPU temps spike to 100 Degrees for a minute or two. The fans on the case and the CoolerMaster Liquid Cooler are all spooling at max, then after a minute or two the temperatures drop to mid 20s to low 30s

Any idea what might be causing this issue?

SPECCY Summary below. Tracking Temps with both HWMONITOR and CORETEMP

Summary
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz 30 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1199MHz (11-13-13-31)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. G1.Sniper Z97 (SOCKET 0) 30 °C
Graphics
24G2W1G5 (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (EVGA) 32 °C
SLI Disabled
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 (SATA ) 26 °C
111GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB (SATA (SSD)) 30 °C
232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD)) 25 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
Sound Blaster Recon3Di

Solution
you should be able to go into bios and use the internal monitoring for the fan headers
Thanks for the reply. I Cannot remember if it used to do this before or not... but found it quite strange to be honest that it would take the CPU up to 100 degrees at startup.

I have a nagging feeling that maybe the Liquid Cooler is not starting up immediately, but I have no idea how to test this

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
I think that’s normal unless in this case it’s not...

usually when you start a pc the CPU would be under load for a short amount of time to communicate with other components and to load up everything like the OS for example.

fans also speed up at max when starting up which should be normal cause I heard that your board tests your fans at startup to make sure it’s working normally.

Dec 11, 2020
I think that’s normal unless in this case it’s not...

usually when you start a pc the CPU would be under load for a short amount of time to communicate with other components and to load up everything like the OS for example.

fans also speed up at max when starting up which should be normal cause I heard that your board tests your fans at startup to make sure it’s working normally.

Thanks for the reply. I Cannot remember if it used to do this before or not... but found it quite strange to be honest that it would take the CPU up to 100 degrees at startup.

I have a nagging feeling that maybe the Liquid Cooler is not starting up immediately, but I have no idea how to test this

okjak808

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Well I have an AIO cooler it would start up immediately once I turn mines on because I can hear the pump. But I think that should be normal, what’s not normal for it to be at 100 degrees even when booted to OS or when idle once it finishes booting up.

make sure your motherboard fan curves are set correctly.
Also is your radiator fan connected to the CPU header or a SYS/CHA header?
if the pump is connected to a CPU header it could run too inconsistently to adjust to ramp up so it should be set to run 100% at any significant temp.

if all else fails connect the pump to a SYS header running 90-100% and plug the radiator fan to the CPU Header (should be more reactive to CPU temp) - also that would be the way to confirm

Dec 11, 2020
Well I have an AIO cooler it would start up immediately once I turn mines on because I can hear the pump. But I think that should be normal, what’s not normal for it to be at 100 degrees even when booted to OS or when idle once it finishes booting up.

View: https://imgur.com/K1DojNT

So weird... this is right on startup... then about 2 mins after startup... we're down to this:

View: https://imgur.com/ta8a9oR

you should be able to go into bios and use the internal monitoring for the fan headers

Solution