Question when updating bios on a motherboard, should i jump to the latest version and skip the others?

Jun 8, 2022
i got a b450 aorus pro wifi rev 1.0, the bios version on it is F60. it doesn't support Ryzen 7 5700G, so i need to update it to the latest bios version, the latest bios version on the official Gigabyte website is F63b. is it ok if i jump from F60 to F63b? or do i need to install the previous versions first i.e F61, F62, F63a ?

USAFRet

Titan
It depends.
Some motherboards, an update to a newer BIOS version depend on the existence of an earlier version.

Others, you can jump directly to the most recent.

You have to look in the specific instructions to see exactly what is needed for your board.

i got a b450 aorus pro wifi rev 1.0, the bios version on it is F60. it doesn't support Ryzen 7 5700G, so i need to update it to the latest bios version, the latest bios version on the official Gigabyte website is F63b. is it ok if i jump from F60 to F63b? or do i need to install the previous versions first i.e F61, F62, F63a ?
Perhaps bump it up one level and then do some basic testing just to make sure the machine is not busted.

Repeat with the next level.

Might take a hour to go up 4 levels.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Yes, just do it. If it’s not possible, the board won’t let you do it anyway. But I don’t see it here, you don’t have a ancient bios on it.

USAFRet

Titan
I did it a few times in my life. And don’t rip things I said out of context to make a mood point. These things are save nowadays, it’s not 2002 anymore.
And in some cases, going from f40 to F43 requires f42 in the middle.
Or some other change.

In this case, it may well be just fine to jump to the newest in one step.
But it IS something that has to be verified. Rather than "just do it".

USAFRet

Titan
BIOS updates can and do have various prerequisites.

For instance, the BIOS notes on my grandsons PC.

B450 AORUS ELITE (rev. 1.x)
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-ELITE-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

If on the original F1

F4
Note : Update AMD Chipset Driver 18.10.20.02 or latest version before updating to this BIOS.

F30
Note : Update AMD Chipset Driver 18.50.16.01 or later version before updating to this BIOS.

F40
Note:
  1. If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F32 before F40
  2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR incompatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU.

F41
Note: Before updating BIOS to this new version, you MUST follow the steps as detailed under BIOS F40 description.

F42f
Note: Before updating BIOS to this new version, you MUST follow the steps as detailed under BIOS F40 description.

F50

Reactions: Lutfij

Lutfij

Titan
@Cray505052
OP, please take heed to what my colleague(s) above is(are) saying. Noting the instructions on said support site for your motherboard. If you "wing it" you can very well end up with a bricked motherboard or in layman terms, an expensive paper weight. I tend to gradually work my way through to the latest BIOS version going through each one(following up on instructions. In AMD's case you sometimes need to update the chipset drivers before you work onto the next. In Intel's case sometimes you're needed to update the Management Engine Interface[MEI] FW prior to moving onto the next BIOS version.)

Last edited: