When using up bandwidth ping skyrockets?

Cording_to

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
So recently I have noticed a trend at a new place I've moved too. When people in the house are using up the internet (videos, downloads stuff like that) then the ping goes way up.

For example, if I am playing an online game and no other internet is being used I can get around 40 - 80 ms ping. But if I opened up a video or started downloading something, that ping would skyrocket often well over 500 ms ping.

I always assumed bandwith (or download speed) had nothing to do with ping. Is this the router? Or because the download speed is only 1 mbs here?

Cording_to

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015

Alright thats clear now. But do you think even with only a 1mb connection (because there are no other options here except satellite) that Quality of Service setting in the router would help? The router we have does have this setting and I'm curious if it would help. Right now if anyone uses the internet at all, even casual web browsing, online gaming is impossible. I've hear Quality of Service can prioritize certain packets, so if I prioritized say a World of Tanks server, could it keep the ping lower even when someone else is using the internet? I might try using a cable instead of gaming wireless as well.

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Is it 1 Mbps or 1 MB/s? Most ISPs rate their speeds in Mbps. If it's 1 Mbps then I could see why it's lagging so bad. 125 KB/s could barely handle 2 people browsing the internet yet alone play online games. You'll need to get faster internet if that's the case; I highly doubt QoS would fix an internet connection this slow.

Cording_to

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015

It is 1 megabits per second. I know, but I am desperate as there are no other options. I was very hopeful when I read about QoS. I tried an Ethernet cable but it doesn't seem to help at all. Sad thing is Time Warner Cable, that offers a 15mbps connection stops literally at the house next door.

Anyways I might try setting up QoS because there are no other options. Other then...satellite, but I'm guessing ping would be even higher.

A satellite connection will have more latency. That connection speed just won't handle multiple users well, especially when downloading. You will be at pretty much dial-up speeds.

Maybe work out a deal with the neighbor, split the cost of the connection and setup a wireless extender with a directional antenna to your house from theirs. I've heard of people doing that. And you can setup a guest WiFi on many routers that will keep his network separate from yours.