Question When Will BIOS Kick-in Heat Kill Switch?

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
I have a AMD Ryzen 9 5900X in my system, with plenty of air-flow and four case fans. This thing runs out, which I've accepted. When rendering videos, I've hit as high as 90C. But according to this article on PC Gamer, AMD is fine with that and considers "typical and by design" according to them (their words not mine).

My question is this...

I checked my bios and the thermal throttle is set to auto, but I always assume that at 90C, the desktop would kick off. That's what used to happen on my old computers back in the day.

Is 90C no longer the danger threshold for cut the system off, and is it just throttling down now as the new heat-management method? And at what point will it just shut down, if not at 90C?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information,

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

I have a AMD Ryzen 9 5900X in my system, with plenty of air-flow and four case fans. This thing runs out, which I've accepted. When rendering videos, I've hit as high as 90C. But according to this article on PC Gamer, AMD is fine with that and considers "typical and by design" according to them (their words not mine).

My question is this...

I checked my bios and the thermal throttle is set to auto, but I always assume that at 90C, the desktop would kick off. That's what used to happen on my old computers back in the day.

Is 90C no longer the danger threshold for cut the system off, and is it just throttling down now as the new heat-management method? And at what point will it just shut down, if not at 90C?
Tjmax is 90c but that's only heat throttling threshold. it would shut down at about 110c.
Which kind of cooling do you have, a half decent CPU cooler should be able to keep up to 80c, In mean time you could use Curve Optimizer to keep voltages lover, typically -10 to -30. all core.