[SOLVED] When will GPU prices become normal again?

phunky_21

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
I have one I can use for now, but I want to get a newer model? Also, where are the new skews coming out? Should I buy one when the prices normalize again or should I wait for new model?

Solution
I read an article last week that said possibly early into 2022 when the levels of supply start to catch up with the demand.

I wanted an RTX 3080, but nowhere had any stock, the Pc builder I got my last PC from had an estimated stock date of 15th September this year, however, that was to fulfill back orders, i.e people that had ordered months ago, way before me. I ended up not going with a pre-order and found a pre-built system with an RTX 3070 included, and went for that instead.

Of course, the difference between the 3070 and the 3080 is noticeable, and fairly significant, but most of the applications or games I tend to play are more CPU intensive than GPU, so this would make little difference in my circumstances, and to be fair, a...

USAFRet

Titan
Ask this. It knows as much as anyone else.
k9cV9wW.png

May 26, 2021
I read an article last week that said possibly early into 2022 when the levels of supply start to catch up with the demand.

I wanted an RTX 3080, but nowhere had any stock, the Pc builder I got my last PC from had an estimated stock date of 15th September this year, however, that was to fulfill back orders, i.e people that had ordered months ago, way before me. I ended up not going with a pre-order and found a pre-built system with an RTX 3070 included, and went for that instead.

Of course, the difference between the 3070 and the 3080 is noticeable, and fairly significant, but most of the applications or games I tend to play are more CPU intensive than GPU, so this would make little difference in my circumstances, and to be fair, a 3070 is still a very good card.

I don't really see why you'd go for the 3090, 24GB is just overkill, unless you are using it for perhaps some sort of AutoCAD or design, but then arguably there are GPU's out there that are better suited and designed for that purpose.

The people I despise of the most, are the miners... who essentially hog all the stock of graphics cards to mine, and make money, then when there's a shortage, and they get fed up of mining, or it isn't quite as rewarding as they thought it was, they sell each of the graphics cards SECOND HAND on eBay for twice the price (or more) than they paid for them NEW.

About two weeks ago, whilst looking at the price of various different GPU's, I saw a mining rig on eBay for sale, with 6 RTX 3080's, bloke wanted £17,500 for it. I can't imagine anyone was in a rush to buy that thing.

I just think it's crazy, I could take my 3070 out, stick it on eBay, get around £1300 for it, and get about 60-65% of the total money I laid out for the system AND the upgrades and accessories I bought with it, just from the card alone. I'm not one of those people though.

Reactions: phunky_21
Solution