When will I bottleneck?

schoff

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Hello everyone,

I currently have a Radeon 4870 HD 1gb DDR5 card. I've been look into upgrading, more specifically to a nvidia card. I was considering a GTX 2xx series.

2 questions:

Will my OC'ed AMD Phenom x3 720BE @ 3.2 Ghz cause a bottleneck with a new GPU?

Should I consider upgrading more; will I see a increase in performance with the card I am considering? Recommendations?

Kind regards,

Schoff

schoff

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
no particular reason I want that card, but I have been looking to upgrade. I really don't like the catalyst drivers that support the ati cards. I hear a lot better things about nvidia cards and believe they are higher quality.

Can you recommend something that would be worthwhile upgrading to or your preferences?

Well for an Nvidia card what you want is a GTX 460 1gb($230) or GTX 470($300.)
The GTX 460 at stock speeds will be approximately 25% faster than your HD4870 but it can OC a very large amount(30%+) and then it should be a nice upgrade. It also uses much less power, especially at idle. The GTX 470 at stock would about 50% faster but can OC even better than the 460. It uses a bit more power under load but still much less at idle. Both of these cards will give you DX11 compatibility.

schoff

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

those are the type of performance increases i'm looking for. I have an 850W PSU, that should handle the above two cards you've mentioned, right? I guess i'll wait for the prices to drop, hopefully sometime around the holiday season.

If it is a decent brand then it could even handle two GTX 470s.
If you aren't buying until the end of the year these recommendations will likely be obsolete. Nvidia should have a bunch of new cards based on the same processor as the GTX 460 and other chips and ATI will supposedly launch their HD6000 series by then as well.

TRENDING THREADS