When will RAM prices drop?

Solution
Don't expect DRAM prices to drop significantly until some time in 2018. Many DRAM manufacturers converted production to NAND due to high demand, manufacturers are running into complications rolling process shrinks on their production lines and everyone is including more DRAM/NAND into their new tablets/phones, further driving demand up.

Price stabilization won't happen until Micron and Samsung get their 18-20nm fabs dialed in and caught up on back-orders.

InvalidError

Titan
Don't expect DRAM prices to drop significantly until some time in 2018. Many DRAM manufacturers converted production to NAND due to high demand, manufacturers are running into complications rolling process shrinks on their production lines and everyone is including more DRAM/NAND into their new tablets/phones, further driving demand up.

Price stabilization won't happen until Micron and Samsung get their 18-20nm fabs dialed in and caught up on back-orders.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
It cost me around $500 to put 512MB in my P3 17 years ago. Only cost me ~$180 to put 32GB in my i5 four years ago, easy decision to avoid getting screwed over by massive price swells whenever the slightest market disturbance occur later and DDR3 getting phased out.

rbarrett

Distinguished
May 7, 2010

Price fixing is always a possibility as well. I was reading that server sales were down and cell phone sales have already peaked. That and there is already precedent for this from the 2006 lawsuit.

InvalidError

Titan
Server sales are still going strong due to demand for cloud-based services and IoT hype. At the same time, the amount of RAM per server is increasing. On the mobile side of things, sales may be down but demand for the newest memory on the newest fab process is still high as ever and memory manufacturers are still in the process of migrating their DRAM fabs to sub-20nm processes.

When it isn't supply chain disruptions causing prices to go up, it is a DRAM manufacturer bankruptcy. The stupidly low prices people get accustomed to every few years when DRAM manufactures are caught between having to choose between shutting down fab lines due to over-stock when sales slow down or lowering prices below cost to clear inventory just to avoid shutting down lines (fab shutdowns and restarts cost millions of dollars) aren't sustainable. If you think current prices are bad, it would have been much worse if the low prices persisted and we had another manufacturer bankruptcy. The last time a bankruptcy occurred, memory prices tripled.

xPhaze

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Yeah you're replying to a 6-month-old post.

I got myself into one hell of a sinking boat. Bought all the components of a new build but no RAM available for under $140 (DDR4, 16GB). This sucks.

cuongngd

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017

Same situation here, now it's 134 dollars on that memory. Sigh, all the holiday discount now gone with this.

daigata2

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
What I have done with mine is because of the fact I started a build at the wrong time for both ram and gpu similar to everyone here. I decided to get 8gb now (Corsair vengeance lpx) and then at some point next year when the prices go down and if the prices go down which is the most important question get another ‘pot of gold’.

The way I builded my rig was by all the other components and leave the gpu and ram last. Waited for a month hoping that the ludacris prices will go down and then just spend 270£ on Nitro+ 580 and 90£ on lpx because I couldn’t wait anymore and the idea that we are not even close to price drops.

So either wait for it and postpone your build until mid 2018 or just close your eyes hit checkout and then upgrade to 16gb

sean8102

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2016
I'm upgrading from ivy bridge to coffee lake. Got my motherboard first for $130 (MSI Z370 SLI Plus), and bought my RAM today.

Found 16 GB (2 x 8GB) of GeIL DDR4 2400 "on sale" for $160 instead of the regular $180 price.
link
(edit: holy hell that link shows some affiliate trying to sell it for $250!)

Found it with 12 hours left on the sale. Better than paying full price but man these prices are crazy.

Not that long ago I added another 16 GB of DDR3 2400 to my current system just because it was only $70 bucks. Now that same DDR3 kit on amazon is $165!

h38QwS1.png

ramgudeyogesh

Prominent
Feb 12, 2018
now days desktop users of numbers highly decrease in the market.very few peoples that only gamer & high end users they only uses Dektop system. so that big manufacture of Dram makers ex. Kingston,corsair etc. they not ready to spend time to make drams for looking limited market.now they cut off the production of Drams. so the same formula work on the market more requirements & less supply.that causes price goes high.then the main thing is now market move on ddr4 drams. so now makers only manufacturing ddr4 rams in limited basis.i think on next coming year ram cost goes high that till manufacturer not makes sufficient numbers of drams.we rae all waiting for that time.....

kkiwi855

Proper
Apr 30, 2018

necro time your wrong lul ecks dee also pls no ban

InvalidError

Titan

Prices have dropped a little but we're still very far from the sub-$100/16GB it used to be at. When I built my current PC, I paid only $170 for 32GB. Today, the same cash still only gets you 16GB.

USAFRet

Titan

Currently sitting in the box next to me:
EED1rDb.png

kkiwi855

Proper
Apr 30, 2018

most modern builds only support ddr4 rip

munchy22

Reputable
Oct 31, 2014

back in 1865 i found ram hard to find for less that 500 pounds. Stillgreat to see the price fixing by 3 ram maker manufactorers might come to a end soon. add thaT AND THE SLOWDOWN IN THE FLAGSHIP MOBILE INDUSTRY I THINK MEMORY WILL BECOME DEAD CHEAP, OR ANOTHER MANUFACTORER WILL APEAR.

kkiwi855

Proper
Apr 30, 2018

What was the civil war like?

TRENDING THREADS