Question When will SSDS have a significant upgrade in space?

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I remember for years SSDs were going to kill the HDD market, but they seem to have been stuck in the same capacity zones forever. Anyone have any ideas on when they might actually be competitive in the size market? I thought by now 20TB ssds would be around. I would love to toss out all my HDDs in my server for SSDs, but it just looks like it's never coming. :( They are also so small in size, why don't they just make a mainstream 3.5 SSD?

I remember for years SSDs were going to kill the HDD market, but they seem to have been stuck in the same capacity zones forever. Anyone have any ideas on when they might actually be competitive in the size market? I thought by now 20TB ssds would be around. I would love to toss out all my HDDs in my server for SSDs, but it just looks like it's never coming. :( They are also so small in size, why don't they just make a mainstream 3.5 SSD?
It's still too expensive for main stream use. More chip integration (more layers in a chip) is needed. SATA 2.5" could place more chips but SATA is on the way out.

Colif

Win 11 Master
100tb for 50k, not exactly consumer, and its a chunky boy. 50tb is only $12500 which is almost a bargain.

Biggest consumer ssd is 15.1tb now.
Biggest NVME is 16tb (or will be when they release it)

Its a matter of squeezing more into the same space.

Hdd are still cheaper, I wonder how many of the X670 boards will only have 4 sata on them. The Aorus X670 Elite only has 4 SATA, but it also has 4 nvme slots.
Seems MB makers want us using nvme anyway

Last edited:
Reactions: Order 66

USAFRet

Titan
They are also so small in size, why don't they just make a mainstream 3.5 SSD?
No need for that size.

If you open up a current 1-2TB 2.5" SSD case, most of that internal space is empty.

I would love to toss out all my HDDs in my server for SSDs
Why?
There are very few server functions and configurations where that would make sense.

How much space do you need?
If your server mainly does random work, a conventional 2.5" ssd will be very effective.
Today, you can buy a 8tb Samsung 870 QVO for $650
As a plus, a ssd is likely to be more reliable than a HDD:

Reactions: jonathan1683

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Most of it is used for my HTPC, but the hard drives are slow and spin up too slow, not a huge impact maybe 30 seconds or so, but I would like to make it instant. Also, I would like around 20TB for my PC just for games and the OS. 8TB is too small I am only using 20TB as replacements. I would like 1 drive to be 100TB LOL minus the 50k drive which I have actually seen already. I would replace them with 20TB SSDs if the price were under 600. Not that what I want matters, but it would be nice to see something of those sizes.

USAFRet

Titan
Most of it is used for my HTPC, but the hard drives are slow and spin up too slow, not a huge impact maybe 30 seconds or so, but I would like to make it instant. Also, I would like around 20TB for my PC just for games and the OS. 8TB is too small I am only using 20TB as replacements. I would like 1 drive to be 100TB LOL minus the 50k drive which I have actually seen already. I would replace them with 20TB SSDs if the price were under 600. Not that what I want matters, but it would be nice to see something of those sizes.
If it takes "30 seconds"...you have problems.

My QNAP NAS has 12 drives in or attached.
11 HDD + 1 SSD (system drive).
~80TB of accessible space.

Accessing any space via a mapped drive letter form any PC in the house, across a standard gigabit LAN....near instantly.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
It's still too expensive for main stream use. More chip integration (more layers in a chip) is needed.

It's called milk.... as in milkin the current market for every nano-cent possible before releasing new stuff, then rinse, repeat & so on and so on, as this is how the parts mfgr's stay in business after all !

Although the integration thing is somewhat true, the mfgrs are in no real hurry to push that process forward very much until the milk (sales) of the current stuff has essentially begun to dry up or at least dwindle down to a mere trickle :(

The Nand used to make ssd's and other storage/memory/media is a prime example of this....

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
All will come in time. For server applications not really a need to use all SSD's yet but in consumer PC's a different story a bunch of people like me have no HDD's at all except for backup.

EDIT then you get into the cost that most people or companies are not wiling to pay.
I can pay X amount or dollars for my storage on the server that does the same thing as if I used SSD's that cost 10X more.

Last edited:
The main issue with flash memory in how it works makes Moore's Law actually worse for it. While the article is over 10 years old, this describes the mechanism why there's a limit to how small we can make flash cells: https://www.enterprisestorageforum....sh-drive-density-will-stop-growing-next-year/ The tl;dr is, at least using then current techniques, the operations when doing flash memory I/O can influence the cells around it, causing data corruption.

There's also the issue that because erasing the flash memory causes a high voltage (like 20V) to go over the cells, it wears out the silicon over time. By having smaller cells, there's less material to wear out, so it's less durable.

Reactions: jonathan1683

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
If it takes "30 seconds"...you have problems.

My QNAP NAS has 12 drives in or attached.
11 HDD + 1 SSD (system drive).
~80TB of accessible space.

Accessing any space via a mapped drive letter form any PC in the house, across a standard gigabit LAN....near instantly.

I am currently using WD green drives which are pretty slow, what drives are you using? I am also not using a NAS. I am going to upgrade all the hardware soon though. I just bought a case that holds a lot of HDs and was going to start buying WD gold drives as replacements ( I have a few ) and stick them directly into the case. Are you using raid? I don't really like the idea of the drives on 24.7 either I don't want to kill their lifespan.

USAFRet

Titan
I am currently using WD green drives which are pretty slow, what drives are you using? I am also not using a NAS. I am going to upgrade all the hardware soon though. I just bought a case that holds a lot of HDs and was going to start buying WD gold drives as replacements ( I have a few ) and stick them directly into the case. Are you using raid? I don't really like the idea of the drives on 24.7 either I don't want to kill their lifespan.
In my main PC, a selection of SSD.
Intel, Samsung, Crucial, SanDisk.

In the NAS, a selection of 11x HDD.
1x SATA SSD as the system drive.
Toshiba, Seagate, WD. Total about 80TB.

No RAID at all.