Question When will there be a motherboard that supports at least 256GB DDR5 RAM?

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
I have a motherboard that supports 256GB DDR4 RAM.

I have a motherboard that supports 128GB DDR5 RAM.

But I really want to have a motherboard that supports 256GB DDR5 RAM. I can't find this anywhere. When will there be a motherboard that supports at least 256GB DDR5 RAM?

I have a motherboard that supports 256GB DDR4 RAM.

I have a motherboard that supports 128GB DDR5 RAM.

But I really want to have a motherboard that supports 256GB DDR5 RAM. I can't find this anywhere. When will there be a motherboard that supports at least 256GB DDR5 RAM?
I'm not really expert on this either, so this actually raises some questions:

Are there any 64GB DDR5 DIMM's? are there any 128GB DDR5 DIMM's? without those a motherboard that supports 256GB won't help.

With respect to AMD, I don't think we'll see a 256GB AM5 board until they release a CPU that supports it. The 7950X at least supports only up to 128GB.

I wonder if Intel's desktop CPU's support it in DDR5? If not, this level of memory support might be considered an edge use case for desktop and best served by workstation class systems by both Intel and AMD. Essentially, I think this means you'll definitely have to wait for Zen 4 Threadripper Pro workstation class machines...or Intel's next HEDT processors that also supports DDR5. Either will command a very, very high price.

Last edited:

mujmuj

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2015
I'm not really expert on this either, so this actually raises some questions:

Are there any 64GB DDR5 DIMM's? are there any 128GB DDR5 DIMM's? without those a motherboard that supports 256GB won't help.

I mean I am looking for a motherboard that supports the total memory size of 256GB of DDR5, not 256GB per slot.

A motherboard that has 8 RAM slots, each supporting DDR5 32GB RAM, will serve my goal.

A motherboard that has 8 RAM slots, each supporting DDR5 32GB RAM, will serve my goal.

For AMD you'll need to look at Threadripper with a TR4 or TRX4 socket motherboard to handle that capacity. Limited, of course, to DDR4. That's mainly because Zen 4 and Zen 3 CPU's are limited to 128GB memory max right now but probably also a fair guess is because the IMC can't handle 4 DIMM's per memory channel.

Last edited: