When you have ONLY PCIe slots

BCHeich

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Hello,

I just decided to experiment with a dual processor setup, including having some clock flexibility, so SR2A1.

It is really short, (zero!), on expansion slots for PCI2 or the several other types most boards have.

Anyone know if there is an adapter to run certain other expansion cards?

I guess they figure gaming is my only game; :) The only game I have, came with the card several months ago, I still don't have but a few minutes on it, WWII shooter + big city underworld challenges.

Actually, my game is high core-count processing with some O.C. added in, server chores and folding, (F@H).

This board will do for now, unless it proves unable to take an as-yet unspecified expansion card.

BCH

BCHeich

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011

Hency my Inq.

Since I have only PCIe x 16 type slots on the board, so I am trying to learn what all will, via hardware-adapter, or by functioning in such a slot though not filling its entire length, give me some other cards besides GPU cards, (like my GTX 460).

Bruce

BCHeich

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011

I just learned of that today. On a similar note, I have an adapter that lets me mount a GPU card in a PCIe x1 slot.

Ah, yes. But have any card manufacturers of devices that have previously been on PCI2 or whatever found any advantage to using the bigger slots? Obviously pin assignments would change, but the bandwidth per each lane is doubled.

The board I'm running right now only has one PCIe x16, and most folks have other slots, and thus don't have the same problem I do with the SR2A1, but the increased bandwidth might provide a marketable product differentiation, and I'm now searching for any cards so designed.

Thanks for the replies, guys. It's nice to find an active forum, with help on the way, so to speak.

BCHeich

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011

Beginning to think you are right, haven't seen anything yet.

Bruce

BCHeich

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011

That second one is the one I have, came with a GPU I bought, but never used it. LP only!

Bruce

The first one will do it for you, part fill a pci-ex16 slot with a pci-ex1 card, and you'll get a pci slot out of it, the orientation will not change but you'll have to jury rig a holding mechanism, but it should work.