Whenever alt tabbing, it takes very long and the mouse disappears

AGuyHonestly

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
So i recently got an external monitor for my laptop (Monitor: Acer XFA240) (Laptop: MSI GL62M 7RD) and whenever I alt tab into or out of a game, it takes 3-4 seconds to load, and if its alt tabbing back into a game, the mouse disappears and i have to navigate the menu with an invisible mouse. The problem normally resolves itself after a loading scene such as loading into a match, and ill be able to see my mouse again, but the alt tabbing is just consistent.

Some more information about the problem is when I used an HDMI cable, the only problem was the alt tabbing taking long, but now that im using a mini dp to dp, the alt tabbing problem happens along with the mouse problem.

TL;DR: New monitor, alt tabbing into or out of a game takes 3-4 seconds, if its alt tabbing back in the mouse is invisible until loading into a match where it becomes visible again

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Alt tabbing in and out of games has always been slow and problematic in my experience.
One thing that works but can hurt game performance is to set the game to windowed mode if the game allows it. That lets you freely move the mouse pointer into and out of the game without alt tabbing. Windowed fullscreen is the best option as it looks the same as fullscreen.

I do this in WoW so I can easily access Skype for group calls. Worth a try.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

this is most likely the issue. i have a ton of ram and alt-tab between programs with virtually no lag. keep in mind that some lag could also be with the gpu as well. it is working hard on a game and has a lot loaded into it's memory. then you alt-tab to something else and all of a sudden the gpu has to grab that info that it was expecting.

AGuyHonestly

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016

Thanks for the responses!

I have 8gb of ram and make sure most process are closed while gaming. I did try windowed mode and while it works, it takes a toll for games such as Overwatch. Everything worked fine when i used my laptops internal monitor. Here is an image of my resources for my ram with the programs opened when gaming (other than the game itself)

https://imgur.com/a/bmgtMCg