Question Whenever I play certain game(s) my network cuts out

Apr 20, 2019
unknown.png

unknown.png

- Make and model of motherboard
- HKC AC Input: 180V-264/47hz-63Hz
(Should be this power supply; https://www.informatique.nl/557084/hkc-sz-450pdr-silent-power-supply-450w.html)
  • Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
  • Windows 10 (All should be up to date)
  • KPN

^ Not sure if this helps but just ask me questions and I'll try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

So, my problem is that whenever I play GTA San Andreas Multiplayer for a while I get a lot of (messages) resent and (bytes) resent and then packet loss occurs; then my internet on the PC completely dies out. It still shows that I am connected to the internet however I am not as nothing works and it'll say my DNS server is unavailable or whatever. I've had this problem for a few months now and it's really annoying because other forums were unable to help me. However this is a more specialized forum so I hope some genius will be able to either help me with a fix or give me solitude in the form of an answer. People have told me before that it might be a hardware issue however when I was playing on Windows 8 (before) it was running just fine.

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/f58687a7-5073-48fc-93bd-23a9c48b3897
Speedtest, my internet is not supposed to be unable to play a game like this.

Apr 20, 2019
At first other devices were affected however we have since eliminated that problem by putting a ethernet cable directly into my PC instead of having it go into the switch and then my PC.

These are the results to your questions hopefully.
unknown.png

I blurred out my IP if that's fine.

So this shows you have no problems. The key is to test when you get the failure. If it still works then it is something with the game and not your network. I guess this is a good test in some ways since now you know what it should look like and will be able to tell if it is not working.

Apr 20, 2019
So this shows you have no problems. The key is to test when you get the failure. If it still works then it is something with the game and not your network. I guess this is a good test in some ways since now you know what it should look like and will be able to tell if it is not working.
unknown.png

I didn't get to ping my own IP this time around but I reckon this would be enough information? If not, I can always try to time it right.

EDIT: I'm un(lucky) to lag out so often. Here's the results to pinging my own IP.
unknown.png

Last edited:
Just use the -t option in the ping command.

You may not have a actual network problem many times games will lie and say it is a network issue when the game is getting hung in something like a video driver. It is important to not spend time trying to fix the wrong issue so you need to know if you have a actual network issue or not and what type network problem you have.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Apr 20, 2019
OK, will start testing tonight, by the way. My friend said something along the lines of; ''If it had to do with your network it wouldn't randomly cut out at times and be inconsistent with ping and packet loss.'' Is there a possibility I have faulty hardware that is fixable through installing certain drivers or a program?

So that shows you have a outage. Next try to your router ip. If the router ip is good I would suspect your internet connection is actually going down. If you have issue to your router IP it is likely some issue in the PC. I would look in the event monitor logs and see if it indicates that the port is going down or something else.

It'll take 5 minutes to try another router, if you have access to one or can borrow one for testing...(assuming of course you've tried another RJ45 cable, and to different router port?)

I had an old D-Link 4 port/wireless router that was notorious for thrice daily lockups, outages etc...

Apr 20, 2019
So that shows you have a outage. Next try to your router ip. If the router ip is good I would suspect your internet connection is actually going down. If you have issue to your router IP it is likely some issue in the PC. I would look in the event monitor logs and see if it indicates that the port is going down or something else.
It'll take 5 minutes to try another router, if you have access to one or can borrow one for testing...(assuming of course you've tried another RJ45 cable, and to different router port?)

I had an old D-Link 4 port/wireless router that was notorious for thrice daily lockups, outages etc...
The ping to my router just stays up the entire time while I am disconnected.

I do not have a secondary router currently so I cannot really do that unless my neighbors plan on being w/o internet and I doubt that.

The ping to my router just stays up the entire time while I am disconnected.

I do not have a secondary router currently so I cannot really do that unless my neighbors plan on being w/o internet and I doubt that.

If you have a cable modem, typically you can access it's page with 192.168.100.1

Tell us what your signal strengths are. Copy/Paste the modem log if possible. (Blur out IP's for your protection. Save it as BMP after you blur it out, then resave it as JPG to perform layer flattening.)

Apr 20, 2019
If you have a cable modem, typically you can access it's page with 192.168.100.1

Tell us what your signal strengths are. Copy/Paste the modem log if possible. (Blur out IP's for your protection. Save it as BMP after you blur it out, then resave it as JPG to perform layer flattening.)
I'm sorry I cannot find said ''signal strengths'' but I can acces my router and go to the advanced tab it shows me these options;
unknown.png

unknown.png
If you can tell me which one you need to see I'll try my best to bring you those logs.

I'll post some of the things I screenshotted above that show my IP (cause you said to blur out my IP) hopefully one of these is the correct one to help speed the process up a little bit.
unknown.png

I'm sorry I cannot find said ''signal strengths'' but I can acces my router and go to the advanced tab it shows me these options;
unknown.png

unknown.png
If you can tell me which one you need to see I'll try my best to bring you those logs.

I'll post some of the things I screenshotted above that show my IP (cause you said to blur out my IP) hopefully one of these is the correct one to help speed the process up a little bit.
unknown.png
I'm asking for your cable modems logs. Not your routers. That will tell us if your physical connection to your ISP is faltering.

Just try the IP address I suggested...192.168.100.1

Apr 20, 2019
unknown.png

Is what I get whenever I try to log onto that IP. Is it my default gateway IP or perhaps the IPv4 address? If not I am not really aware what it might be.

You may not have a modem if you have a dsl connection. Your testing shows your connection to the router is good but the connection to the internet is bad. This means it is not likely a issue with your PC or even your router...although there is a slim chance.

I would see what you ISP has to say. Tell them you can ping your router but not ip addresses like 8.8.8.8 on the internet. If they have any brains they will come out and check your line or at least look into the problem. If they try to blame the server (ie 8.8.8.8) you will have to do a little more work to prove it to them but I would try to call them and see if you get lucky.

Apr 20, 2019
I have had a total of 8 engineers from my ISP over and they've done a certain amount of things. They are all saying everything shows up just fine but that there is clearly something wrong as when they are present and I would disconnect, they would all just go ''Hm, odd.'' and basically none of them have fixed the issue and instead we have been given new modems/router and cabled internet etc for free but still no progress.

That is the issue fixing a problem that only happens intermittently. If it doesn't happen while they are looking at it they will think it is fine. Most times the equipment they have to test the physical line is more sensitive than your modem/router and they normally fine issues if it is the wires.

The next testing step is to run tracert to 8.8.8.8. What you will see are the routers in the path between your house and the 8.8.8.8 server which is a google dns server. Hop1 is your router Hop2 is the first ISP router. Hopefully hop2 responds. You want to run ping commands to your router (hop1) and the ISP router (hop 2). The goal here is to show them that the connection to your house is going down. Since this is their router they can not blame someone else and since your router pings it is not likely your router.

Not sure what else to suggest these type of problems you can not fix yourself. You only can change your pc or your router and both appear good.

Apr 20, 2019
That is the issue fixing a problem that only happens intermittently. If it doesn't happen while they are looking at it they will think it is fine. Most times the equipment they have to test the physical line is more sensitive than your modem/router and they normally fine issues if it is the wires.

The next testing step is to run tracert to 8.8.8.8. What you will see are the routers in the path between your house and the 8.8.8.8 server which is a google dns server. Hop1 is your router Hop2 is the first ISP router. Hopefully hop2 responds. You want to run ping commands to your router (hop1) and the ISP router (hop 2). The goal here is to show them that the connection to your house is going down. Since this is their router they can not blame someone else and since your router pings it is not likely your router.

Not sure what else to suggest these type of problems you can not fix yourself. You only can change your pc or your router and both appear good.
unknown.png

Here are the results.