Question Whenever I turn on my fan, my Keyboard lights flicker

mrjocasrp

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
I have a Razer keyboard plugged into my gaming laptop (model 15ACH6-976), and I noticed that whenever I turned on my floor fan my Keyboard lights flicker for roughly less than a second.
The weird thing is that when I previously had all my devices (laptop and fan included) plugged into the same power strip this didn't happen, I only got this problem when I plugged my fan onto a power strip that is now connect to that previous power strip (I'm well bellow the 3500W max that my strips can handle so it shouldn't be an issue as I'm not overloading them).
I have no idea as to what could be causing this problem

I would plug the fan into another outlet. If that is not possible, I would turn on fan first then the pc. If pc is on and then need to turn on fan I would turn off pc. Any kind of flickering with your pc when turning something else on could be a power flow problem which is not good for the electronics.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
I have a Razer keyboard plugged into my gaming laptop (model 15ACH6-976), and I noticed that whenever I turned on my floor fan my Keyboard lights flicker for roughly less than a second.
The weird thing is that when I previously had all my devices (laptop and fan included) plugged into the same power strip this didn't happen, I only got this problem when I plugged my fan onto a power strip that is now connect to that previous power strip (I'm well bellow the 3500W max that my strips can handle so it shouldn't be an issue as I'm not overloading them).
I have no idea as to what could be causing this problem

Daisy chaining power strips is not a good idea.

mrjocasrp

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
Daisy chaining power strips is not a good idea.
I thought that there was nothing wrong with daisy chaining power strips, so long as you didn't exceed their rated power (as an example, I am only running 80 watts at most from the power strip that I daisy chained to the one that is plugged into the wall outlet).

mrjocasrp

Reputable
Jan 13, 2019
I would plug the fan into another outlet. If that is not possible, I would turn on fan first then the pc. If pc is on and then need to turn on fan I would turn off pc. Any kind of flickering with your pc when turning something else on could be a power flow problem which is not good for the electronics.
Unfortunaly I only have one grounded outlet in my room, so I have to plug everything into that one. The weird thing is that, as I had stated, when I had the fan plugged directly into the same power strip as the pc, this never happened, only now that I plugged it into the daisy chained strip (that is far from being overloaded, only have the fan and an led plugged into it).

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
I thought that there was nothing wrong with daisy chaining power strips, so long as you didn't exceed their rated power (as an example, I am only running 80 watts at most from the power strip that I daisy chained to the one that is plugged into the wall outlet).
"If a power strip or cord-connected RPT is connected or “daisy chained” to another power strip or cord-connected RPT – it violates the UL listing and is not in compliance with OSHA standard 29 CFR 1910.303(b) (2)."