[SOLVED] When's the latest to buy an AM4 MOBO

Peppercornflakes

Honorable
Jun 16, 2014
I want to know when's the latest I can buy a MOBO like Asus Prime X570-P before it gets pulled from the market. I know this isn't something that has a definitive date, but I'm unsure if anyone here would have an approximation as to when they'll be cycled out for a new processor line from AMD. I'm just looking at one for a Ryzen 7 2700X.

I understand that as soon as a MOBO line gets retired, so does its RAM, CPU cooler and PSU connections sometimes. I already purchased an AMD processor but want to save up a bit more before getting everything else. I'm getting paranoid as I'm seeing a lot of sales on Ryzen processors which leads me to believe they're going to get replaced soon.

Solution
There should be one more generation for the AM4 socket later this year before AMD moves onto a different socket.

As for a motherboard recommendation is there anything you'd want like wifi/Bluetooth or if there is a size requirement (ITX/ATX/MATX/etc).

An excellent board for the price is this ASRock, plenty of features such as wifi/Bluetooth and the BIOS is easy to navigate.

PCPartPicker Part List
Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $84.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-07 11:56 EST-0500

WildCard999

Titan
There should be one more generation for the AM4 socket later this year before AMD moves onto a different socket.

As for a motherboard recommendation is there anything you'd want like wifi/Bluetooth or if there is a size requirement (ITX/ATX/MATX/etc).

An excellent board for the price is this ASRock, plenty of features such as wifi/Bluetooth and the BIOS is easy to navigate.

PCPartPicker Part List

Solution

Peppercornflakes

Honorable
Jun 16, 2014

PCPartPicker Part List

I'm going for a "vanity" type of build so I'll probably stick to something that's expensive enough to look good. Thanks for the recommendation though. I'm impartial to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth features so I'll probably get something that's reliable but won't break bank.

Even if AM-4 should remain for a long time coming Asus may not consider the Prime X570-P model worth continuing "as-is". In which case, the more relevant question is whether Asus continues to build boards of this model to release into the AM-4 market.

Mfr's often do things like this to refresh market interest and release of a new AMD processor on the socket would be a great time to do so.