News Where and How to Buy an RTX 3080, 3090 or 3070

Sep 17, 2020
As predicted by many reviewers and journalists, it seems mostly to be vaporware, on the Danish section of the website, it went straight from "Be Notified" to Sold Out, so there were not really any cards available for sale at any point in time. I guess I will skip this generation, or maybe switch to AMD if they can deliver anything competitive. Michael

As predicted by many reviewers and journalists, it seems mostly to be vaporware, on the Danish section of the website, it went straight from "Be Notified" to Sold Out, so there were not really any cards available for sale at any point in time. I guess I will skip this generation, or maybe switch to AMD if they can deliver anything competitive. Michael
I expect the same exact thing when AMD releases their card: opportunists will just buy up all of the stock then turn around to sell them on eBay for a stupid markup.

Reactions: TCA_ChinChin

Ast1on

Reputable
May 7, 2020
A 650W-700W PSU will be just fine.
Ordering those nvidia cars if you have a 2000 series is plain stupid, people should wait AMD.
If 1000 series and you still do not like AMD (and its possible issues), sure go for it, but even then always better to see what the competition will bring and how it affects prices.

Sep 17, 2020
I expect the same exact thing when AMD releases their card: opportunists will just buy up all of the stock then turn around to sell them on eBay for a stupid markup.

No one bought anything, I was literally checking the page every minute, there was never any cards for sale from Nvidia at any time (on the Danish section anyway), they just flicked a switch so it said Sold Out. I read an article from a journalist yesterday that claimed that there is some kind of scam going on from Nvidia's end, of course I didn't believe that it could be true, but now I'm seeing exactly what he was predicted would happen. Michael

Wick422

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2014
Try here lol....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154091739818?_trksid=p2471758.m4704

SZZB3sa.png

Aug 31, 2020
No one bought anything, I was literally checking the page every minute, there was never any cards for sale from Nvidia at any time (on the Danish section anyway), they just flicked a switch so it said Sold Out. I read an article from a journalist yesterday that claimed that there is some kind of scam going on from Nvidia's end, of course I didn't believe that it could be true, but now I'm seeing exactly what he was predicted would happen. Michael

Same as the Dutch site...

hannibal

Distinguished
You just have to make a bot that is even faster than those scalpers use!
Don`t rely on cc++. Use pure machine code! It will be that few pico second faster than a bot made by cc++!

and those scalpers bit armies will Also buy amd GPUs so it does not save the day. Unless rdna2 is very bad and very expensive... but in that case it does not matter in anyway. But if rdna2 GPUs Are good... They Are sold out allready... a bot can click so much faster than a Human can!

Prisoner #6

Prominent
Jun 12, 2020
If you have not got one by now, you might as well wait to see what AMD has to offer rather than fight the bots for the 3080/3090 leftovers. By the time you scoff one up then the 3080TI comes out and then you say <Mod Edit> why didn't I wait a few weeks longer. If you only have eyes for NVIDA you put out your notify mes and hope one pops up. Me I am going to hold off at least until AMD releases the 6000 series cards. A few weeks more won't kill me since I missed the launch week for the 3080 and looks like there will be slim pickings for weeks to come for 3000 series card. My ole 1080ti will have to scream a little longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kridian

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
No one bought anything, I was literally checking the page every minute, there was never any cards for sale from Nvidia at any time (on the Danish section anyway), they just flicked a switch so it said Sold Out. I read an article from a journalist yesterday that claimed that there is some kind of scam going on from Nvidia's end...
So all those cards we're seeing photos of, and all those the scalpers are selling on Ebay are ... just figments of our imagination?

I know it's not as attractive as a conspiracy theory, but perhaps a better explanation is that NVidia simply sold out in between your page refreshes? There were after all several hundred thousand people and (probably) ten thousand bots all doing the same thing you were.

Thomas Wells

Honorable
Mar 27, 2015
Being on the notification lists does nothing. I am on approx 8 "notify me" lists and have not gotten one single email for these being in stock anywhere.

Reactions: BILL1957
Sep 25, 2020
Looking at it from a purely business standpoint, Nvidia, nor any of the other sellers (Best Buy, Newegg, Etc.) really care about bots or scalpers or whatever is scooping up the stock.

Nvidia produces these cards to sell for profit. Sellers carry cards to sell for profit.
They have 100 cards and a bot buys them all? Fine. As long as it's paid for, the rest doesn't matter.

Sure they have to deal with a couple of crying souls, but those folk aren't buying 100 cards at a pop.
Nvidia and the rest can care less if scalpers end up getting stuck with cards they can't offload or if a few 1000 buyers have to wait weeks for more stock - all they know is they made 100000 cards and SOLD 100000 cards.

If anyone reading this is offended by the raw facts of business and feel that strongly about it, then don't buy anything from Nvidia then.
Wait for the AMD cards and get one of those - that will punish Nvidia and shaft the scalpers and hopefully teach them both a lesson.
But how many really expect people to do that?

BILL1957

Commendable
Sep 8, 2020
I have wondered if the yields from Samsung are struggling to produce the top binned chips that the 3080 and 3090 require for manufacture. This could explain why such short supply on these top cards.

Also if that is the case the 3070 using a lower binned chip may not have these issues and there may be plenty of chips available to manufacture this card.

I find it funny that they only had a week between the 3080 and 3090 launch and no stock anywhere for sale but it is almost 3 weeks until 3070 launch.
It would make sense if there were plenty of chips to manufacture that card and Nvidia is giving themselves and the AIB partners the extra time to crank out the cards to have a decent launch on this card at least since the 3080 and 3090 launches were such flops..

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I have wondered if the yields from Samsung are struggling to produce the top binned chips that the 3080 and 3090 require for manufacture. This could explain why such short supply on these top cards.

Also if that is the case the 3070 using a lower binned chip may not have these issues and there may be plenty of chips available to manufacture this card.

I find it funny that they only had a week between the 3080 and 3090 launch and no stock anywhere for sale but it is almost 3 weeks until 3070 launch.
It would make sense if there were plenty of chips to manufacture that card and Nvidia is giving themselves and the AIB partners the extra time to crank out the cards to have a decent launch on this card at least since the 3080 and 3090 launches were such flops..
3070 uses a smaller die than the one used for the 3080 and 3090. Smaller die means more chips per wafer and usually better yields which should mean higher production numbers. Plus it's releasing a month later giving more time for production.

BILL1957

Commendable
Sep 8, 2020
3070 uses a smaller die than the one used for the 3080 and 3090. Smaller die means more chips per wafer and usually better yields which should mean higher production numbers. Plus it's releasing a month later giving more time for production.
"better yields which should mean higher production numbers. Plus it's releasing a month later giving more time for production".
You are repeating exactly what I said. lol!

Reanor

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
If you have not got one by now, you might as well wait to see what AMD has to offer rather than fight the bots for the 3080/3090 leftovers. By the time you scoff one up then the 3080TI comes out and then you say <Mod Edit> why didn't I wait a few weeks longer. If you only have eyes for NVIDA you put out your notify mes and hope one pops up. Me I am going to hold off at least until AMD releases the 6000 series cards. A few weeks more won't kill me since I missed the launch week for the 3080 and looks like there will be slim pickings for weeks to come for 3000 series card. My ole 1080ti will have to scream a little longer.
The RTX 3090 replaced RTX 3080Ti, there won't be any other 3080Ti. There will be RTX 3000 Titan, 3060 and 3070.

Oct 14, 2020
One store to check is Microcenter. They frequently sell hard to find items in-store only, not on-line. You have a better chance of making it to the store before the stock sells out than beating a bot to it on a web site.

ajr1775

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2014
Seriously, at this point if you need to get a GPU and want a 30 series just get an EVGA 2070 Super for around $500.00 and Step Up to a 3080 and just wait. The 2070 Super is still a great card for the money outside of the 30 series. Don't buy in to the FOMO and just wait. Doing this will also reduce your Cortisol levels.