Where are prices going?

G

Obviously, LCD monior prices have been dropped dramatically over the past year while quality has improved. But where are prices and quality going now? I've heard that new technology will bring much less expensive LCDs to market in the near future, but I don't have any solid information about it.

The answer impacts the many (like me) who are wondering if we should shell out $800+ for an LCD or buy a cheap CRT and let the prices come down. Will we need to wait a year for significant price drops? 6 months? 3 months? Two years?

Save the children :smile:

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
In general prices will go down, how much is like playing the stock market, your guess is as good as mine. Will technology get better, yes, I have heard for ten years now that LCD's will replace CRT's, the transition is happening but it is slower than many thought because CRT prices are also falling.

You can buy the state of the art CPU from Intel or AMD today. Will they release a newer faster one tomorrow, you can bet on it.

Sorry I cant be more help.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Harwdare Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Yeah, it's totally unpredicatable, just go for the LCD now. The Compaq TFT5030 is pretty cheap, like $640, might as well go for it. Or if u wish a 17" LCD, the 800$ TFT7030 is equally good.

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

G

Holy Cow! Last night, in a move unprecedented in modern history, my wife came in competely unsolicited and said "let's just get the Compaq you were talking about." (TFT7030) This after she was balking at a $350 19" CRT! Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

Not yet, because it is back-ordered =(
I ordered the Radeon 8500 from Dell, and just got the call yesterday that they don't expect it to ship now until 10/29. I'm bummed, but I guess I can wait. Maybe that will be enough time for Tom to get a hold of a final release and thoroughly test it for us...

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Well, as long as it has a DVI port, you'll be fine. have fun with teh monitor, and remember, don't punch it (u can punch CRT's, teh glass doesn't break, but LCD's are.....weak).

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!