News Where Are the DisplayPort 2.0 Monitors and Graphics Cards?

hannibal

Distinguished
I have been postponing my monitor and gpu upgrade for dp 2.0 for a while. Good to know that it is getting ahead. No hurry so far, but good quality 4K requires this to come market!

Last edited:
I haave been posponing my monitor and gpu upgrade for dp 2.0 for a while. Good to know that it is getting ahead. No hurry so far, but good quality 4K requires this to come market!

Except HDMI 2.1, which is already on the market, already solves all 4k resolution/refresh limitations.

Heck, even though DP 2.0 does have more bandwidth, both HDMI 2.1 and DP 2.0 cover more or less the same resolution/refresh combinations, with the notable exception that HDMI 2.0 needs DSC for 8k60 and DP 2.0 doesn't. HDMI 2.1 also has the advantage of built-in VRR support, which is still optional as of DP 2.0.

Unless your holding out for an 8k monitor, there's literally zero reason to wait for DP 2.0 over HDMI 2.1.

kaalus

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
A better question is, where are Display Port 1.4 monitors? I've been waiting for a 32" 5k monitor, or an 8k monitor that does not need two DP 1.2 cables, or for a 32" 4K 144Hz monitor for nigh on 5 years now. I don't give a toss about DisplayPort 2.0. DisplayPort 1.4 is perfectly fine, but there are scarcely any monitors that put it to use. We live in a world where some people salivate at the thought of 2560x1440 and think it's the next great thing when it comes to resolution. I'd buy an 8k monitor in a flash, even for $5k, if it did not require 2 DP 1.2 cables.

Feb 3, 2021
This is a post about linguistic capabilities. Or the lack of it. Can you really write something like : "In terms of whether graphics cards will arrive"? There's 3 words too many! Or does it matter how you explain yourself? How about writing articles for 30 days without saying the ubiquitous "in terms of" or "when it comes to"? I learned in school that if words don't enhance comprehension you should not use them. Lots of authors said so. My favourite is George Orwell.