Where are the Google Ads?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
In the scripting of any page on TH, there is a reference to ajax.googleapis.com and it is refering to Google Ads to which there are supposedly no ads here except for non-members or newbie members?

Would non-members or newbies really be wanting to buy anything from Google ads? Do they really serve a needed service here?

I've noticed quite a few double and even triple posts, I think that google thing is the culprit. I often have to click, click click the submit button. Sometimes I get the 505 Error for my reply but not more than 5 times a day..

"some sort of server google uses for google ads. "
http://www.generalnonsense.net/showthread.php?t=2574

"Google APIs (or Google AJAX APIs) is a set of JavaScript APIs developed by Google that allows interaction with Google Services and integration of rich, multimedia, search or feed-based Internet content into web applications. They extensively use AJAX scripting and can be easily loaded using Google Loader."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_AJAX_APIs

Basically, it freezes up my PC and it's been getting worse ever since you did the site update.

Vista x32, 4gb ram @800mhz. IE9

Solution
If you don't have java installed, try installing java and seeing if the problem persists. I know we're doing a lot of fancy stuff with that quick-edit functionality. I've heard of issues occurring with IE8 and back that are similar, but not IE9. Tom's Hardware goes to great lengths to ensure that our site is compatible with a maximum of browsers and operating systems - so IE is in our top 3 that we check.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I should have my own private complaints page lol -

here is another one, I want to Choose Best Answer for an old thread, sometimes I get the Select Best Answer button and sometimes it does not appear at all, no Best Answer has been select yet.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
You could make it a different question, sure. Or report it to a mod using "Report abuse" and they may address the issue.
As for that image link, it looks like it gets cut off due to the special characters. Use the img bbcode to make it work effectively.
As for Best Answers, whether or not it shows up depends on whether or not the thread type is a Question or Discussion thread type.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Hey, I got a new error in reference to http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1683994/many-queries.html#10857816
I just made a quick edit to correct a typo and it gave me something better than the 500 message -
2u6juv9.png

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Shhh, don't tell anyone but I only have Vista Defender as my anti-virus

I actually got a server error while trying to upload an image to tinypic

Edit - silly me, I was going to add the server errror image here but tinypic is down

nevermind them, That AV doesn't interfere with internet stuff. On your anti-virus, it's fine so long as you are a smart user and aren't prone to falling into an attack.