Where are the temperature sensors located on my motherboard?

AdonosFlew

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
I have a GIGABYTE-Z170XP-SLI.

Can i find them visually on my motherboard?

How can i find them at all?

I looked through the manual of the motherboard but i didn't find any useful information.

I want to locate the sensors because one of them shows 53°C on load and I want to know the reason of that temperature.

I use Corsair Link for monitoring and it shows that I have 4 motherboard sensors. My first thought was that sensor which shows 53°C must be near the cpu because that should be the hottest part of the motherboard generally. But on the second thought It can't be near the cpu because i use water-cooling on that and it runs at a stable 31°C on full load.

Any ideas on locating the sensors, or the source of the heat? Maybe the chipset warms up that much? If yes how can I reduce the heat on them?

Solution
I assume that is a net pic and not an actual picture of your system. However the VRM's sit very close to the motherboard and the fans are placed quite a bit higher than the VRM's. While there might be some airflow, it's not the same as a heatsink and fan (particularly the top down models) moving air very close over top of them. In some extreme cases, it is recommended to place a fan such that it will blow down over the motherboard to help assist cooling the VRM's.

That all said, I was just throwing it out there, it could be something else completely.

Another option is the Southbridge. Have you tried the finger test on the Southbridge? If so, is it moderately hot?

AdonosFlew

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015

pDQmloa.png

This is my case with the temperatures. The VRMs are right next to two case fans. Is it possible for them to get warm even with that airflow? The arrows shows the airflow direction.

I assume that is a net pic and not an actual picture of your system. However the VRM's sit very close to the motherboard and the fans are placed quite a bit higher than the VRM's. While there might be some airflow, it's not the same as a heatsink and fan (particularly the top down models) moving air very close over top of them. In some extreme cases, it is recommended to place a fan such that it will blow down over the motherboard to help assist cooling the VRM's.

That all said, I was just throwing it out there, it could be something else completely.

Another option is the Southbridge. Have you tried the finger test on the Southbridge? If so, is it moderately hot?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS