Where are those Gigabytes ?

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
HEY guys

with my new pc, i'm new in vista!

i noticed that everyday i use the pc, i'm loosing GB of free space!

i've got a 1000GB WD harddrive, and i don't get it where those bytes stay? i cleaned everything with ccleaner, 'windows disccleaner', easycleaner 2.0 ...

nothing seems to give me more GB.

is it vista who uses the HARD DRIVE different than XP does? is it normal?

i don't get it how i should use the gb's?

i only installed, steam with CS;s, GTA4 and cod4 on the pc. nothing other big.

and i only have 85% of free space left!! (777.7 / 911.5 total)

i don't have music, pics.... movies on it. just a clean install with those 3 games!

can somebody give me a logical explenation?

and a 2nd thing, atimdag gives me sometimes bluescreens

is it because of the catalyst drivers? are the omega drivers better?

help me plz, i don't know how i use 133.9 gb??

It's called System Restore. Vista keeps track of changes and allows you to roll back in time if your system quits working. It creates a restore point when you install software and on a schedule. You can tell Vista what % of the drive to use, or you can shut off System Restore if you like. Honestly with a 1TB drive, I'm not sure why you're worried about it.

Google Vista System Restore for more info.

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
hey, thanks!

it would be helpful if you gave me a link where i can find it in windows. (the directory i mean)

i'm using dutch vista, so english isn't so usefull. only if i had a directory i can determine!

Right click on My Computer and click Properties. You should get your system information screen. On the left hand side it will have a link to System Protection. Click it and then change any settings you want.

You can also use free up space with Disk Cleanup under the properties of your c:, but it will eat the space again as it makes more restore points

It is important to know that by default windows uses so much space for system restore and shadow copies. Since this space is a percentage value, the bigger the drive the more it eats. You should be able to change it.