Where are we here...

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
It has been a while since I purchased a brand name PSU and I was just wondering what the PSU experts are suggesting right now.

I have put together a 3200+ DFI LP UD rig with a 6800GT and 1Gb RAM. I have been running it on a generic 350W PSU but am now interested in swapping it out and OCing the rig slightly. The main reason for swapping the PSU is because I have an older system in need of a PSU (it's gonna get this one).

I am going to be buying it from <A HREF="http://www.anitec.ca/?mode=category&catid=42&mcid=19" target="_new">here</A> so if you could help me out in picking one from this site that would be great. The cheaper the better... I would be willing to pay anywhere under $150 bucks, but all I really need is something that will be able to handle a slight OC. Cheaper is better.

<b><font color=red>Go date P4man or something, bye!</font color=red><b>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
LOL, Same mfgs as before. :) Enermax, Antec (True- series), OCZ, etc. I think I've heard Seasonic is supposed to be good too.

I'd choose that Enermax noisetaker for 68.95 that's at the very top of the page. As a second choice, one of the Antec TruePower (probably the 380w).
Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

G

Guess you did but check the THG's psu stress test, 1st thing in a while thats seams to be done nicely!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
You are right... I hadn't even looked at it. I saw the link to it and kept having these THG Stress Test Update flashbacks which were painful enough to keep me away from the PSU stress test. Maybe I will take a look at it now though... just because you recomended it.

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Thanks for the recomendation Wusy... as such I will definetly look into the Vantec 550W.

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
I seem to always see the same mfgs coming up... maybe I should stop asking questions about PSUs and just buy one of these everytime... although the Vantec looks alright (looks like I could save a few bucks) we will see.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
If one of those Seasonics are the same as the model THG tested then I would go with one of them. The effeiency is really high.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There's a Vantec review at Sysopt.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
Another good job! You do not get to keep the test components, or do you?

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yeh, and a whole bunch of motherboards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
keep a lid on it then, wusy is just scoping ;)

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most of them. Companies like to see their product used in reference systems too.

RichPLS

Champion
You mean as reference systems being used to test/post reviews on other products?
Makes sense to me!

Just curious, how much free PC stuff do you get a month?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Lately around one product a week. I'm still catching up on a bunch of products I got within two weeks however.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
You havent reviewed the TT 680W PSU have you?

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No. In fact, I don't have enough equipment to put that kind of load on a CPU. And unlike Tom's, I don't have an experimental load to make up the difference.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sysopt is a community driven site. As opposed to all the larger sites, which are driven by the supply side of the market. This means they have big budgets, but are not always "sell-outs".

The only major site I've seen stoop so low as to promote all the products they review is PC Stats. I believe they do that so manufacturers and retailers will give them preference to link back to their site. More links back mean more ad clicks, more profits, etc. Bias? They don't have to have any bias towards a particular company to pull this off, their bias is simply shifted towards the industry in general, rather than the consumer.

RichPLS

Champion
Basturds! ;)