where can I download Win7 64bit OS

daddydean

Honorable
Feb 6, 2016
Hi members,
I am rebuilding a name brand laptop that came with Win 7 64bit OS. I have the OS key and product code. However when I go to Microsoft to down load a copy of the OS, when I enter the key I get a message saying that is an OEM key and to get my OS from the maker. I have gone all over the makers site as that is where I got the drivers I needed, but there are no OS on their site. I want to install the OS without all the other junk one gets on a restore disc with an OS as part of disc, if the company even still offered disc.
Thanks,
Dean

Solution
These are your choices:

1) Get W7 64-bit from the laptop manufacturer (may have to pay, but they may not even have that option. contact help at site if stuck)

You would delete any extra programs AFTER you install. It's very simple. (would need to add back drivers)

2) Buy a different W7 64-bit license from anywhere (though I'd just go with Windows 10 if the video chip is compatible)

Can get discs online, or get a key via Kinguin (dot net) and get W10 for example from W10 site.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

3) If you have the original HDD/SSD it should still have the backup IMAGE
if so, boot to that and follow instructions (will wipe out any changes since laptop bought)
These are your choices:

1) Get W7 64-bit from the laptop manufacturer (may have to pay, but they may not even have that option. contact help at site if stuck)

You would delete any extra programs AFTER you install. It's very simple. (would need to add back drivers)

2) Buy a different W7 64-bit license from anywhere (though I'd just go with Windows 10 if the video chip is compatible)

Can get discs online, or get a key via Kinguin (dot net) and get W10 for example from W10 site.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

3) If you have the original HDD/SSD it should still have the backup IMAGE
if so, boot to that and follow instructions (will wipe out any changes since laptop bought)

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I doubt the key will work with anything but the OEM version it is licensed to. Might try contacting the laptop manufacturer by voice if there is a phone number available.

If you want to try a download anyway, I had this site bookmarked from when I was doing Win7 installs. Hopefully it still works.

Yeah, you are either going to have to find someone with a copy, or play the dice roll game trying to find a legit unmodified copy on torrents.
Unfortunately microsoft discontinued online download of Win 7 for anyone without a retail key right around the time Win 10 came out.