Question Where can I find/figure out RAM timings for AMD optimized RAM with an intel CPU ?

Jun 9, 2022
Hello!

I finally bit the bullet and decided to build a new computer after sticking with a 1080 for so long. The 3080 TI is amazing and basically everything I wanted out of a new computer. But I have an issue. I went with the "Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 AMD Optimized" And an Intel i7 12700k without realizing that the RAM was "AMD optimized". From what I understand RAM is RAM and it should be fine but a bit finnicky with timings. I had it at 3000mhz and I was getting block artifacting maybe once every couple days or so? So that would appear to be the culprit. I've tried moving the frequency around and it only appears to boot with some. It's at 2800mhz right now and I don't feel like I'm getting the most out of it. From reading it seems like 3200mhz is the most I can get out of my CPU but I don't have any luck with that frequency either. I'm super new to tuning RAM so any sort of help or suggestions are welcomed. I've heard that you can tweak the voltage manually too, but I'm probably googling a lot of the wrong terms and can't find anything. I'm also not sure how much of a difference the RAM frequency would make anyways. So please lay down some knowledge for a dude who has been out of the PC building game for a long time lol

Thanks in advance!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I wouldn't worry too much regarding that "optimized" bit.

Go in and reset CMOS to make sure it's on bone stock settings. Boot and be sure you load into OS properly.
Once there, download a program called CPU-Z. Inside that program is a tab which will show you the reported speeds for JDEC and XMP. Write those down or take a picture with your phone.

I would assume, but will say again...after doing the above, boot to BIOS and try to set XMP settings and see if it will boot. If not, use that picture for the timings to set manually (as well as voltage) and see what the best setting is for your particular setup.

Jun 9, 2022
I wouldn't worry too much regarding that "optimized" bit.

Go in and reset CMOS to make sure it's on bone stock settings. Boot and be sure you load into OS properly.
Once there, download a program called CPU-Z. Inside that program is a tab which will show you the reported speeds for JDEC and XMP. Write those down or take a picture with your phone.

I would assume, but will say again...after doing the above, boot to BIOS and try to set XMP settings and see if it will boot. If not, use that picture for the timings to set manually (as well as voltage) and see what the best setting is for your particular setup.

Okay will do! I'm not sure how to reset CMOS on my board but I assume it's removing the battery and touching some pins like my old board. I can check the manual tomorrow. Is there any reason I have to do that? I think my ASUS mobo has an option to reset all settings. My PC is under my desk in a little thing that makes it hard to open the side panel without disconnecting everything, I could totally do it but it would be a pain. The only settings I think I changed whatsoever are the RAM frequency and disabling the warning for the CPU fan because I have an AIO and there is no fan. I'll definitely download CPU-Z and see what it says my timings should be in the meantime though!

TRENDING THREADS