[SOLVED] Where can i find the exact model of ram for my laptop to upgrade?

Solution
That totally depends on whether you're doing a lot of other stuff at the same time. If you are using mods, running a bunch of browser tabs, recording, streaming, overlays, etc., all the kinds of things that a lot of people do while gaming, then the extra memory may be helpful.

If you mostly JUST play WOW without much else going on at the same time, then it probably isn't going to be terribly helpful to the game itself BUT it might benefit you simply because Windows itself can use like 5GB of RAM running itself, drivers and background processes. I'd say 16GB should be the minimum for any modern gaming system including a laptop so long as the system has some kind of discreet gaming card installed, which yours does.

Here is how to find...
That totally depends on whether you're doing a lot of other stuff at the same time. If you are using mods, running a bunch of browser tabs, recording, streaming, overlays, etc., all the kinds of things that a lot of people do while gaming, then the extra memory may be helpful.

If you mostly JUST play WOW without much else going on at the same time, then it probably isn't going to be terribly helpful to the game itself BUT it might benefit you simply because Windows itself can use like 5GB of RAM running itself, drivers and background processes. I'd say 16GB should be the minimum for any modern gaming system including a laptop so long as the system has some kind of discreet gaming card installed, which yours does.

Here is how to find your existing memory module model.

Download CPU-Z and install it.

Run it. Click on the "Memory" tab. Select a slot with memory installed in it from the drop down menu on the left hand side of the window. It will populate the fields in the right hand side of the window. The memory model will be listed in one of those fields.

Or, you can do this.

Open command prompt "as administrator" by right clicking on the command prompt link and selecting open as administrator.

Then, in command prompt, copy and paste the following string, then hit enter:

wmic MEMORYCHIP get BankLabel, DeviceLocator, MemoryType, TypeDetail, Capacity, Speed

Solution

Markhad93

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016

Here is how to find your existing memory module model.

Download CPU-Z and install it.

Run it. Click on the "Memory" tab. Select a slot with memory installed in it from the drop down menu on the left hand side of the window. It will populate the fields in the right hand side of the window. The memory model will be listed in one of those fields.

Or, you can do this.

Open command prompt "as administrator" by right clicking on the command prompt link and selecting open as administrator.

Then, in command prompt, copy and paste the following string, then hit enter:

wmic MEMORYCHIP get BankLabel, DeviceLocator, MemoryType, TypeDetail, Capacity, Speed

I checked task manager and with discord and wow open I was only at 6.7 gb usage. I am rly careful when I'm playing and only have 1 internet tab open max. But won't the dual channel help alot?

Dual channel WILL help, some. It isn't going to make an earth shattering change but going from single to dual channel operation will double the bandwidth so things will FEEL snappier and will be a bit smoother. If you are using 6.7GB out of 8GB then the system is probably being limited and adding will likely offer some benefit at the least.