where can i get a copy of old solitaire program from win xp

hsmom55

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Hello,
I have a client who has gotten a new computer (win 7) with a new version of solitaire. The problem is that his voice recognition won't work properly with this version and he would like to use the old win xp version which was customized to work with his speech recognition. Any idea where I can download the old version? And will it work on win 7? Thanks.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forum.

In XP, copy the files sol.exe and cards.dll from the c:\windows\system32 folder on to a flash drive and pop that drive into Windows 7 and copy both files in to the same folder in there. Put a shortcut to sol.exe on the Desktop and simply double click it to make it work.

hsmom55

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

This would be a great idea if i had access to an XP computer. Any ideas on how I could access this file if i don't have access to an XP computer? I have tried downloading other solitaire programs but they have to have keyboard commands in order to customize it for the voice recognition (the client cannot use the keyboard at all and must do everything by voice) and so far I haven't found one that uses mouse or keyboard commands (only mouse commands). Thanks.

alenaae

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013

I've tried doing this, but it still tells me that it can't find the dll file. Is the dll only recognized by 32-bit systems, but not 64-bit Windows 7 systems?

The kernel type should not make a difference in being able to use the software program or not unless it's specifically for a 64-bit OS.

There is a video of someone using voice recognition through a software program called Utter Command, which can be found HERE , to play Solitaire that is pre-installed on the computer. Don't know if this will help or not. Windows 7 does have speech recognition.

There is more information about it at the following links:
Set up Speech Recognition
What can I do with Speech Recognition?