Where can i get an Ethernet to Coax adapter?

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017
So, i bought a surge protector/battery backup combo and it has to be connected to the internet to download a firmware update. It has an Ethernet port, but i don't want it taking bandwidth away from my gaming PC, as that's connected via Ethernet. So, i was planning on connecting an Ethernet cable to it, then plugging it into an adapter, then connecting it to the router via a coaxial cable. Is there anywhere i can find something like this? And if so, which one should i get? I should also mention that i don't have any cable TV here as there's a little something called the Internet, so something like MOCA probably wouldn't work unless it works without a TV signal. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Solution

From your original description, no, it wasn't.

You want to go from router to PC, but there is no ethernet cable going the full length?

If there is a coax cable near the router, and near the PC...a pair of MOCA devices will do exactly that.
https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Bonded-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6200K02/dp/B013J7O3X0

Router->Cat5e->MOCA device->house coax->MOCA device->Cat5e->PC.
It does not need cable TV service of any kind. It simply needs a straight run of coax from end to end.
Your reasons for not connecting that gadget to Ethernet are not valid - once you download the update, that unit won't have to be connected to Internet at all, and you can do that while not gaming. And connecting it thru MOCA cable is not different - it will still be connected to same ISP as your game, whether coax, WiFi or Ethernet.

Don't make your life more difficult than it has to be.

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

Yeah i suppose that's true. But I'd still like to find an adapter for my guest PC anyway, so do you know where i can find one?

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

Isn't it obvious? Convert Ethernet signal to Coax and vice versa.

USAFRet

Titan

From your original description, no, it wasn't.

You want to go from router to PC, but there is no ethernet cable going the full length?

If there is a coax cable near the router, and near the PC...a pair of MOCA devices will do exactly that.
https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Bonded-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6200K02/dp/B013J7O3X0

Router->Cat5e->MOCA device->house coax->MOCA device->Cat5e->PC.
It does not need cable TV service of any kind. It simply needs a straight run of coax from end to end.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Yes you can.
It uses a different freq in the cable.

Just like powerline devices, but instead of house wiring...house coax.

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

Well, I already sort of answered that question, but yes that should work. That guest PC is gonna be hosting a server, which is why I want it using a different cable. Thanks for your reply.