[SOLVED] Where can I improve? Internet

WolfandTheJoker

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
So I am currently doing some office/game room remodeling and I need to decided if I need to upgrade my wifi router or keep it the same. I have a list of specs and devices that use the network below.

Speed of network: 350/Mb
Wifi router: Netgear N300 (4 ethernet ports speed 300Mb)
2 computers hooked up vie ethernet (1 of which plays COD warfare online for reference)
PS4 via wifi (would like to ethernet this one though post remodel)
2 laptops via wifi (both at most stream netflix/amazon prime)
5 devices via wifi (phones/tablets/Nintendo Switch)

I have a budge of around $200 with a little wiggle room.

Any recommendations?

Solution
So access point like just another wifi option I can setup. Sorry still getting familiar with computer related terminology.
An access point (AP) is a device which is optimally connected via wire to the primary router. It provides a geographically separated WIFI source. It can have the same or different SSID/password. But roaming between WIFI sources is controlled by your device. The way you "encourage" your device to roam is by turning down the power on WIFI sources to minimize the overlap.
Some APs can wirelessly connect back to a base. This is just another name for a repeater.

kanewolf

Titan
So I am currently doing some office/game room remodeling and I need to decided if I need to upgrade my wifi router or keep it the same. I have a list of specs and devices that use the network below.

2 computers hooked up vie ethernet (1 of which plays COD warfare online for reference)

Any recommendations?
Yes you need a new router. An N300 router is a 2.4Ghz only device. You want an AC1900 router. Something like this -- https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-arch...hz-ieee-802-11b-g-n-2-4-ghz/p/N82E16833704468

Reactions: WolfandTheJoker

RealBeast

Titan

Any recommendations?
801.11 AX is really not useful yet, and many don't even work properly so stick with an AC model.

Since you've been getting along with just an N300, I would upgrade to an AC1900 or AC2600 router, which I recently did although I already had several AC access points.

Best to avoid the overpriced models. Go with something like a Netgear Nighthawk or D-Link DIR-882 or ASUS RT-AC68U.

You can keep the N300 and use it as an access point as needed.

Reactions: WolfandTheJoker

WolfandTheJoker

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
801.11 AX is really not useful yet, and many don't even work properly so stick with an AC model.

Since you've been getting along with just an N300, I would upgrade to an AC1900 or AC2600 router, which I recently did although I already had several AC access points.

Best to avoid the overpriced models. Go with something like a Netgear Nighthawk or D-Link DIR-882 or ASUS RT-AC68U.

You can keep the N300 and use it as an access point as needed.
So access point like just another wifi option I can setup. Sorry still getting familiar with computer related terminology.

kanewolf

Titan
An access point (AP) is a device which is optimally connected via wire to the primary router. It provides a geographically separated WIFI source. It can have the same or different SSID/password. But roaming between WIFI sources is controlled by your device. The way you "encourage" your device to roam is by turning down the power on WIFI sources to minimize the overlap.
Some APs can wirelessly connect back to a base. This is just another name for a repeater.

Solution

RealBeast

Titan
Along with a new AC router, you would just use an Ethernet cable to make an LAN to LAN connection from your new router to the N300. It will give you an additional radio channel (that you need to coordinate with the one used on the router because for 2.4GHz there are only 3 non-overlapping channels -- 1, 6, and 11).

The N300 would have its DHCP turned off and give it a network address in the same range as the new router but outside the new router DHCP range, so the N300 is static. Your new router will handle DHCP assignments through the N300 and you can use the same or a different SSID. The N300 radio and 3 remaining LAN ports will all work under control of the new router.