[SOLVED] Where can I put an SSD if my slots are taken or blocked?

Apr 7, 2021
Motherboard: B450M DS3h
GPU: MSI Armor RX 270 8GB

So, on my motherboard there are 3 PCIe slots. An x16, x1, and x4. My GPU is in the x16 one, blocking the x1 which is right under. Then, my WiFi card is in the bottom slot (x4). I was wanting to get an SSD upgrade but not knowing where I can put it. Could I somehow get the wifi card in the x1? Does that work? And put the SSD in the x4? Anyone know?

Solution
Well, I do have a SATA port available, but I heard that the other SSD connections were faster. So, I'm not sure if I want a PCIe SSD or an M.2. But, since my PCIe slots are blocked or taken, I might be able to use a M.2. Although, I'm not sure if there is an M2 on my motherboard, but I do see a slot labeled "M2A" above my GPU and below my CPU cooler. Would an M.2 SSD work there?
This is when you refer to the manufacturer spec sheet.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-1x/sp#sp
"1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe x4/x2* SSD support) "

Something like a Samsung 970 EVO will work perfectly in that M.2 port.
(depending on CPU....what CPU is it?)
Motherboard: B450M DS3h
GPU: MSI Armor RX 270 8GB

So, on my motherboard there are 3 PCIe slots. An x16, x1, and x4. My GPU is in the x16 one, blocking the x1 which is right under. Then, my WiFi card is in the bottom slot (x4). I was wanting to get an SSD upgrade but not knowing where I can put it. Could I somehow get the wifi card in the x1? Does that work? And put the SSD in the x4? Anyone know?
Have you used all the SATA ports? There should be 4 ports at least on the motherboard. You can literally tape a 2.5" SSD on any open spot in the case (most have mount points for one though) then run a SATA cable to one of those ports and pick up a SATA power cable from the PSU. You'd need neither M.2 nor PCIe for that.

Apr 7, 2021
Well, I do have a SATA port available, but I heard that the other SSD connections were faster. So, I'm not sure if I want a PCIe SSD or an M.2. But, since my PCIe slots are blocked or taken, I might be able to use a M.2. Although, I'm not sure if there is an M2 on my motherboard, but I do see a slot labeled "M2A" above my GPU and below my CPU cooler. Would an M.2 SSD work there?

USAFRet

Titan
This is when you refer to the manufacturer spec sheet.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-1x/sp#sp
"1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe x4/x2* SSD support) "

Something like a Samsung 970 EVO will work perfectly in that M.2 port.
(depending on CPU....what CPU is it?)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS