Where could I d/load Win XP Pro SP2?

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have a Compaq 2-nd hand machine with proper genuine number on the sticker.

Can I d/load somewhere legally s/ware I have licence to use it?

TIA...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

NO. The only item you can download is Windows XP SP2 but this is
useless if you don't have Windows XP already installed on your system.





Mr Bean wrote:
>
> I have a Compaq 2-nd hand machine with proper genuine number on the sticker.
>
> Can I d/load somewhere legally s/ware I have licence to use it?
>
> TIA...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

ANONYMOUS wrote:
> NO. The only item you can download is Windows XP SP2 but this is
> useless if you don't have Windows XP already installed on your system.


And that's the point. It sux.

The best way of installing XP is to installing it from original CD with
the latest SP.

So even if I would have original CD with first edition of Win XP Pro,
still I would like to be able to d/load latest version, instead
upgrading two service packs.

It's not against MS policies or UELA EULA (Whatever) That's the idea to
have a sticker on machine with correct and registered number with
specific hardware.

CD is lost, is useless without the number, which is a license anyway.

Actually MS could cut their costs, by selling... the number!!!

Software would be preloaded on machine and users could d/load from MS
web sites *current* CD with all service pack, after confirming their
validity of Windows.

Even that is not needed!

Just allow d/load. Who have the valid number, will use it.

This would cut costs of pressing CD's! We would burn own copies.

MS will only win in such situation.

Hey MS.

I'm expecting some cut for this idea of saving your money.

;)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Mr Bean wrote:
>
> ANONYMOUS wrote:
> > NO. The only item you can download is Windows XP SP2 but this is
> > useless if you don't have Windows XP already installed on your system.
>
> And that's the point. It sux.
>
> The best way of installing XP is to installing it from original CD with
> the latest SP.
>
> So even if I would have original CD with first edition of Win XP Pro,
> still I would like to be able to d/load latest version, instead
> upgrading two service packs.
>

You have to buy Windows XP SP2 fully integrated. Please note that you
don't need both service packs. SP2 contains everything that was
included in SP1 and more.


> It's not against MS policies or UELA EULA (Whatever) That's the idea to
> have a sticker on machine with correct and registered number with
> specific hardware.
>

The sticker at the back of your PC or Laptop does not prove you are the
registered owner. You need to have actual CDs with Microsoft Logos
appropriately inscribed on it. The retail CDs are of good quality but
OEM versions you get from PC manufacturers are something a backstreet
trader would be proud of. I have both Dell and HP and I am not
impressed at all!


> CD is lost, is useless without the number, which is a license anyway.
>
If CD is lost or damaged, you can contact Microsoft for replacement.
You will, however, need to have your PC on so that you can read out
numbers over the phone to verify you have genuine product! OEM CDs are
the responsibilities of your PC vendor.

> Actually MS could cut their costs, by selling... the number!!!
>
They already do!! It is called VLK (Volume License Keys).


> Software would be preloaded on machine and users could d/load from MS
> web sites *current* CD with all service pack, after confirming their
> validity of Windows.
>
NO COMMENTS

> Even that is not needed!
>
> Just allow d/load. Who have the valid number, will use it.
>
> This would cut costs of pressing CD's! We would burn own copies.
>
> MS will only win in such situation.
>
> Hey MS.
>
> I'm expecting some cut for this idea of saving your money.
>
> ;)

You can continue to have dreams and perhaps one day they will become a
reality!!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

ANONYMOUS wrote:

> You have to buy Windows XP SP2 fully integrated. Please note that you
> don't need both service packs. SP2 contains everything that was
> included in SP1 and more.

True...


>>It's not against MS policies or UELA EULA (Whatever) That's the idea to
>>have a sticker on machine with correct and registered number with
>>specific hardware.
>>
>
>
> The sticker at the back of your PC or Laptop does not prove you are the
> registered owner. You need to have actual CDs with Microsoft Logos
> appropriately inscribed on it. The retail CDs are of good quality but
> OEM versions you get from PC manufacturers are something a backstreet
> trader would be proud of. I have both Dell and HP and I am not
> impressed at all!


It does. Has MS logo, number registered on that particular machine on
proper MS sticker, logo and... when you load XP from any non original
CD, but your number activates, you are prefectly, legally using hardware
witm MS software. OEM s/ware I mean! Never studies retail version, I
mean OEM version!

That's the all idea. You're buying XP with that machine and you have
right to use only on that machine and you have number which activates on
ONE machine.

When you are buying new machine, you have to buy new Windows. But old
machine you have right to sell it and if original sticker is on the
machine, old owner has rights to use that Windows until machine dies.



CD is lost, is useless without the number, which is a license anyway.
>>
>
> If CD is lost or damaged, you can contact Microsoft for replacement.
> You will, however, need to have your PC on so that you can read out
> numbers over the phone to verify you have genuine product! OEM CDs are
> the responsibilities of your PC vendor.


You can use s/ware to retrieve your number. However is useless legally
because you will have to have a sticker on your machine with that number.



>>Actually MS could cut their costs, by selling... the number!!!
>>
>
> They already do!! It is called VLK (Volume License Keys).



That's Corporate licenses.



>>Software would be preloaded on machine and users could d/load from MS
>>web sites *current* CD with all service pack, after confirming their
>>validity of Windows.
>>
>
> NO COMMENTS
>
>
>>Even that is not needed!
>>
>>Just allow d/load. Who have the valid number, will use it.
>>
>>This would cut costs of pressing CD's! We would burn own copies.
>>
>>MS will only win in such situation.
>>
>>Hey MS.
>>
>>I'm expecting some cut for this idea of saving your money.
>>
>>;)
>
>
> You can continue to have dreams and perhaps one day they will become a
> reality!!


It's logical way and maybe will be used.

Or Google will come with better OS. Apparently they are working on one.

Whatever Google does, is best in the world so far.

:)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Not true. You CAN download it from MSDN, but the subscription to it
quite pricey.

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 02:55:17 +0100, ANONYMOUS
<ANONYMOUS@NEWSGROUPS.COM> wrote:

>
>NO. The only item you can download is Windows XP SP2 but this is
>useless if you don't have Windows XP already installed on your system.
>
>
>
>
>
>Mr Bean wrote:
>>
>> I have a Compaq 2-nd hand machine with proper genuine number on the sticker.
>>
>> Can I d/load somewhere legally s/ware I have licence to use it?
>>
>> TIA...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Slipstream is an option for some that integrates SP-2 on the CD:
http://www.msfn.org/comments.php?id=9235&catid=1&highlight=slipstream

However this is probably not an option because of the way Compaq decided
what was best for their customers.
If you do not like the cheaper OEM, buy retail and get more options.
OEM is the choice you made when you bought Compaq.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"Mr Bean" <vgyi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:4334ad6e$0$25160$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
>I have a Compaq 2-nd hand machine with proper genuine number on the
>sticker.
>
> Can I d/load somewhere legally s/ware I have licence to use it?
>
> TIA...