[SOLVED] Where do I connect my CPU fans and which way are they supposed to face?

Clay54412

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Hello, I have a Phanteks PH-TC14PE in a PC that I built back in 2016 but I think all this time I had it connected in the wrong slot! I just discovered that I NEVER used the Y-splitter and I just connected it to another fan connector. I always got an error "CPU fan error, push F1 to continue or lower the fan speed" but I just ignored it because all the fans were spinning. But I barely noticed that my Pc gets pretty hot under full load(80-85 degrees) and I figured maybe it's because I haven't changed the thermal paste in 2 years or maybe the fans are facing in the wrong direction or maybe it's because my CPU fans are not blowing at full capacity because they're plugged in the wrong slots! Can someone help me please?!? Here's a picture of my PC: https://i.imgur.com/997kbnM.jpg

And my specs are: Z170S motherboard with a CPU fan cooler named Phanteks PH-TC14PE, 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 2400 MHZ, and a GTX 1080 TI FTW3.

Solution
You connect both fans to the y splitter and the other end of the y splitter goes onto the CPU fan header....Job done...

The CPU fan header is the first fan header of the three fan headers on the top side of your motherboard starting from the left.

The are called CPU_ FAN and CPU_OPT and W_PUMP

So connect it to the CPU_FAN header...
You connect both fans to the y splitter and the other end of the y splitter goes onto the CPU fan header....Job done...

The CPU fan header is the first fan header of the three fan headers on the top side of your motherboard starting from the left.

The are called CPU_ FAN and CPU_OPT and W_PUMP

So connect it to the CPU_FAN header...

Solution

Clay54412

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Ok thank you very much. And I have this other wire that comes from underneath the motherboard that says "To Motherboard CPU Fan". I currently had that one in the CPU_FAN accidentally. Where does that one go? And that Y-Splitter wire that I have has a 4 pin slot and another 4 pin size with one missing pin but that looks purposely done. Would that be compatible to join both fan wires which are both 4 pin? Thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS