Where do I connect my CPU fans?!? This is important

Clay54412

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Hello, I built my PC back in 2016 but I noticed my that my CPU gets a little hot at full load which is at 80-85 degrees. And I think I had my CPU fans connected in the wrong slots! The fans all spin but I always get an error when turning on my PC that says something like "CPU fan error, push F1 to continue or lower the fan speed" but the fans are still spinning! And all this time I ignored it because they were spinning. And I actually only have 1 CPU_FAN connection while all the other ones say CPU_OPT, W_PUMP, ASST_FAN1, EXT_FAN, ASST_FAN2, CHA_FAN1-6. So where am I supposed to connect both fans? And second question, is my CPU fans facing the right way? Which way are they supposed to face? Here's a picture of my PC:

https://i.imgur.com/997kbnM.jpg

I have the Z170S motherboard with a cPU fan cooler named Phanteks PH-TC14PE, 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 2400 MHZ, and a GTX 1080 TI FTW3.

So where do I connect the CPU fans and is my CPU fans facing the right way or which way are they supposed to face?!? Thanks.

tommyducker19

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Is it the Asus Sabertooth Z170 S motherboard you have?
https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH-Z170-S/gallery/

If it is, the picture on the link shows 3 4 pin connectors in a row. 2 black 1 a light brown colour. The CPU fan is the light brown colour.

Clay54412

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Ok cool but my problem is I have another wire connected there that comes from under the motherboard. I believe the wire says "To motherboard CPU FAN". Is that where it's supposed to be connected? My problem is, I have 2 fans on the Phanteks PH-TC14PE that have 2 fan wires that are supposed to go into a Y-splitter which I wasn't using. Am I supposed to connect those 2 fan wires into that Y-splitter and place it in that brown fan slot? And how can I do that if that other "To motherboard CPU FAN" is in there? I'm sorry if I sound confusing, I just wanna make sure I do this right. Thanks.

tommyducker19

Honorable
May 23, 2012
The 4 pin connection next to that one is also for CPU fan. Looking at the picture it has CPU OPT underneath.

This is what's listed on the spec sheet

1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)
1 x CPU OPT Fan connector(s) (4 -pin)

I would plug the front fan into the CPU header and the 2nd fan into the OPT connection.

Clay54412

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Ok thanks but I forgot to mention that I have this wire that comes from the underneath the motherboard that says "To Motherboard CPU Fan" and that wire is connected on CPU_FAN. So where is that one actually supposed to go? And I have the regular CPU fan wires connected to some other fan connectors named CHA_FAN. So I believe I was doing it all wrong all along? Lol. And last question, I have a Y-Splitter wire that was included with my CPU cooler fan that I wasn't using. Should I use that to put both fan wires into one wire so the 2 fans only connect to the CPU_FAN connection? And sorry one last concern, my Y-Splitter has a 4 pin slot and another 4 pin size with one missing pin but that looks purposely done. Would that be compatible to join both fan wires which are both 4 pin? Sorry if I sound confusing...I just wanna make sure I do this right, thanks again.