[SOLVED] where do i look more advanced specs on a power supply?

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
good evening, I ask you two things about the conscious choice of a PSU: which is the most reliable review site that tests and benchmarks PSUs? and where can I find very very advanced and industry specific specs on each model I am interested in?

Solution
I think most PSU review sites that have testing equipment are competent and reliable.
But, I think you are going about the psu selection the wrong way unless you have the technical expertise to understand the implications of the specs. My best advice to you for finding a quality psu is to look at the warranty.
7 to 10 years will likely get you a quality unit.
Your task is to properly size the unit you need.
Here is a handy chart that works for most:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say by 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use...
I think most PSU review sites that have testing equipment are competent and reliable.
But, I think you are going about the psu selection the wrong way unless you have the technical expertise to understand the implications of the specs. My best advice to you for finding a quality psu is to look at the warranty.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.

Solution

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.
hello thanks for the reply😃Anyway, if I asked it, it is because I understand a little bit about it and I know the criteria and all those specifics that a power supply must have that is reliable, safe and that keeps the PC "healthy"

good evening, I ask you two things about the conscious choice of a PSU: which is the most reliable review site that tests and benchmarks PSUs? and where can I find very very advanced and industry specific specs on each model I am interested in?

Cybenetics has the most complete tear downs of anyone else on the Internet.

They stopped maintaining that a long time ago, I'm afraid.

Reactions: Grealish01

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
thank you all for the replies. Instead, precisely at the level of reviews and benchmarks (not data and specifications) who and what can I consult on YouTube or the internet?
On TomsHardware.com, you go to "MORE" and go down to "POWER SUPPLIES" and click there.
thank you all for the replies. Instead, precisely at the level of reviews and benchmarks (not data and specifications) who and what can I consult on YouTube or the internet?
I ask one more thing, since I was evaluating the data provided by puget systems (which evaluates only EVGA and SuperFlow I don't know why) I noticed that EVGA has a dj failure rate respectively twice that of its erflow, however on the site it says that the data of the archives on the EVGA dates back to more time ago (they are a bit older than the data on the superflows) my question therefore is in the choice of the power supply, so should I just limit myself to these 2 brands? on the other hand, if a reliable site like puget only brings 2 there is a reason, or have they evaluated only these 2 brands? second question: has EVGA improved over the years? is a company that I do not know much, but I know that it is very reliable and the fact of having a failure rate twice as high as its erflow makes me doubt a little?

I ask one more thing, since I was evaluating the data provided by puget systems (which evaluates only EVGA and SuperFlow I don't know why)

....or have they evaluated only these 2 brands?

Because those are the only two brand PSUs they use. Their data comes from their builds. It's not representative of real world.

my question therefore is in the choice of the power supply, so should I just limit myself to these 2 brands?

Why would you do that? Because you're buying a PC from Puget Systems? There's a lot better PSUs out there than EVGA and SuperFlower.

has EVGA improved over the years?

No. EVGA doesn't make PSUs. They have a large number of series, all from different OEMs like SuperFlower, FSP, HEC, Andyson, etc. Quality varies depending on who the manufacturer is and the design of the platform and the quality of components used. Typically, a company doesn't "improve" an existing platform unless failures become catastrophic (Google "exploding Gigabyte PSUs").

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
Because those are the only two brand PSUs they use. Their data comes from their builds. It's not representative of real world.

Why would you do that? Because you're buying a PC from Puget Systems? There's a lot better PSUs out there than EVGA and SuperFlower.

No. EVGA doesn't make PSUs. They have a large number of series, all from different OEMs like SuperFlower, FSP, HEC, Andyson, etc. Quality varies depending on who the manufacturer is and the design of the platform and the quality of components used. Typically, a company doesn't "improve" an existing platform unless failures become catastrophic (Google "exploding Gigabyte PSUs").
thanks, leaving aside what was my hypothesis anyway (from what I read on the internet) superflow and evga seem to me the 2 best brands, maybe that's why they are used by puget? In addition to these 2, in your opinion, which brand is objectively better of all?

thanks, leaving aside what was my hypothesis anyway (from what I read on the internet) superflow and evga seem to me the 2 best brands

That is definitely not the case.

Like I said, EVGA is a grab bag of different OEMs. Including Super Flower.

Super Flower has some good models, but not all of them.

And there are definitely better over all PSUs out there as well.

You need to pull your focus away from the very limited scope of the Puget Systems analysis and look at different resources.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Aris Mpitzopolous, owns Cybenetics, does PSU (and not only) reviews at his YT channel - Hardware Busters, and Tom's Hardware or Techpowerup. Other than that there are a few reviewers worth noting but generally if you can't find a review on some specific model by him - that's not a good buy.

And i would repeat the points Jon made too. EVGA and Super Flower are not 'the best brands'. Because there are none, no such thing. All brands have good models, mediocre models, bad models, including those two, especially EVGA, since they have a three dozen models with vastly varying quality, but Super Flower has some duds too. It just not how it works. You should read professional reviews on each specific model you're considering to determine whether it's actually good, not just go off the brand.

If you want some specific recommendations then we would need to know what we're working with first.

Last edited:

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
Aris Mpitzopolous, owns Cybenetics, does PSU (and not only) reviews at his YT channel - Hardware Busters, and Tom's Hardware or Techpowerup. Other than that there are a few reviewers worth noting but generally if you can't find a review on some specific model by him - that's not a good buy.

And i would repeat the points Jon made too. EVGA and Super Flower are not 'the best brands'. Because there are none, no such thing. All brands have good models, mediocre models, bad models, including those two, especially EVGA, since they have a three dozen models with vastly varying quality, but Super Flower has some duds too. It just not how it works. You should read professional reviews on each specific model you're considering to determine whether it's actually good, not just go off the brand.

If you want some specific recommendations then we would need to know what we're working with first.
@juulare @jonnyguru thank you, if you want some parameters and specifications I can tell you, maybe you are able to advise me better than those I would find. Let's say that for what I do I am a bit demanding, however it should be a 600w linear regulator, have APFC, EMI or RFM, NTC or PTC, OCP and SCP (mandatory for my use) and OVP / UVP, system fail + safe integread, active PFC, ripple and good capacitors, (I don't really care about the 80 plus scale as long as it's not bronze)

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
@juulare @jonnyguru thank you, if you want some parameters and specifications I can tell you, maybe you are able to advise me better than those I would find. Let's say that for what I do I am a bit demanding, however it should be a 600w linear regulator, have APFC, EMI or RFM, NTC or PTC, OCP and SCP (mandatory for my use) and OVP / UVP, system fail + safe integread, active PFC, ripple and good capacitors, (I don't really care about the 80 plus scale as long as it's not bronze)
That is definitely not the case.

Like I said, EVGA is a grab bag of different OEMs. Including Super Flower.

Super Flower has some good models, but not all of them.

And there are definitely better over all PSUs out there as well.

You need to pull your focus away from the very limited scope of the Puget Systems analysis and look at different resources.
however I tried to select a few reliable brands because unfortunately having to respect some very specific parameters it would have been impossible to compare all those data and specifications between maybe 20 power supplies