Where do I plug in this 2-pin fan cable?

ShadyOrb09

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
Hello, I just bought a i7-6700k on friday, and my CPU fan decided to bite the dust, I was going to try and lube it up as it's rumbling and overheating to the point it just stop running, but Cooler Master decided not to make a hole for the bearing so you can't do that.
Anyways, I found a 2-pin 120mm fan in a power supply, and I just took it apart and took out the fan.
Problem is I can't seem to find a 2-pin fan header on the motherboard I have (AsRock Z270 Pro4).

Though, my case has a built-in fan controller and the fans are 3 pin to 2 pin, so I was wondering if I can just line up the red and black cables with the red and black cables on the fan controller cable. I added pictures so you could understand what I mean.

I wanted to ask before I tried it so I didn't blow anything up.
Also, if you like you can try to find a 2-pin on the motherboard, but I don't think there is one.
(http://www.asrock.com.tw/MB/Intel/Z270 Pro4/index.asp)

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/EbEWe

Solution
Just plug that connector into the far left pins on the CPU fan header on the motherboard. If you plug it in backwards, no harm done, it just won't spin. Turn the system off before the CPU overheats (you have about a minute as long as there's at least a heatsink on the CPU), plug the fan in the other way, and turn it back on.

It's probably going to scream to life at full speed all the time though, seeing as the motherboard cannot tell its current speed without the third wire.
Just plug that connector into the far left pins on the CPU fan header on the motherboard. If you plug it in backwards, no harm done, it just won't spin. Turn the system off before the CPU overheats (you have about a minute as long as there's at least a heatsink on the CPU), plug the fan in the other way, and turn it back on.

It's probably going to scream to life at full speed all the time though, seeing as the motherboard cannot tell its current speed without the third wire.

Solution

ShadyOrb09

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

Well, I've already taken the fans out before reading this, and I'm not dead, lol.
Thanks for the information about where to plug it in, it'll be loud but I think I can deal with it for 2 days until I get the new one.
Thanks again!

For future reference, I'm going to put my usual warning here.

Even though power supplies take in power at 115V standard in the US and 230V standard in other countries, internal power can be stored at much higher voltages. There are many parts that work together to make a power supply work. The two scary ones are the transformer and the capacitors. These often hold a charge much greater than the rated output of the unit. A shock from these components could be lethal.

I never recommend opening a power supply. I consider them to be field replaceable units. When one has an issue, I buy a new one.

Also, I believe your motherboard has a setting in BIOS where you can tune the CPU fan speed based on voltage/ temperature rather than RPM/temperature. This will help keep it quiet since there is no third wire.

To access this setting, press F2 or Delete when you first turn on the computer to access BIOS setup. From there, you should see fan controls towards the right of the screen. Just click on that and it should pull up a full screen menu. From there, it should be pretty easy to figure out.

If you make changes and get lost, you can exit without saving changes by pressing F7. F10 will save changes and then reboot into Windows. Your settings will not take effect unless you save them. F9 will load defaults in case you make a mistake. You must save again after loading defaults for the changes (loaded defaults) to take effect.

ShadyOrb09

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

Awesome information! I'm going to do that, it's a lot easier than listening to a jet for 2 days, thanks once again.

TRENDING THREADS