Where do my scans go on my laptop?

woohoogirl

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Hello, I have a wireless laptop at work...when I hook up my printer to it and scan a picture for example, where does it go and how do I find it on my laptop...i.e. which file or folder do I look in?

No IT support at work? The scanner setup will have the default file location set, if you setup the scanner on your laptop (almost always you need to install some type of scan over the network software for it), you will be able to set the scan to location. If it's a network scanner, the location can be anywhere on the network, you need to look at the scanner configuration on the device. You can start with checking My Documents though.

mpickard9

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
In Windows 7, it appears they are put in C:\Users\%username%\My Documents\My Scans\

This was determined by searching for "Scans".

(Using an HP Officejet J4680 connected by USB to Windows 7 Enterprise - work domain policies on computer appear to prevent wireless access to that printer at home)

grantwparks

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

One thing I've found useful to answer this kind of question for myself, is to use the Search in Windows explorer for files changed in the last day. If I sort by date, descending, I can usually find one of those "where does the app save these?" files.