Question Where do these two wires go ?

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
I just swapped my case to a new be quite! Silent Base 802, and I love it. Everything connected great, except I have two leftover wires I can't quite find a place for them, my motherboard is the AMD B550 series.
The wires are as follows:

• This one seems to go to the front panel. Not sure if it needs a power adapter from my power supply, as I don't see this port anywhere on my motherboard.

8HD1GCL.jpeg
iVtC1Hd.jpeg

• On the back panel of my new case, I have a small board that all the fans are connected to. It had two power cables, one at the top (which is SATA), and this one that is a four-pin connector (with a label attached says it's a power connector). The manual says this should be connected to the motherboard, but it's far too short to reach around by default. Do I need this, since the SATA power is connected to my power supply?

6x17U8S.jpeg

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
This one seems to go to the front panel. Not sure if it needs a power adapter from my power supply, as I don't see this port anywhere on my motherboard.
That is internal USB type-C connector. Not all MoBos have that connector, meaning that you can't use the type-C connector on your PC case.

Well, unless you use USB 3.0 to USB type-C adapter;
amazon: https://www.amazon.com/JoyReken-Vertical-Socket-Header-Adapter/dp/B08TW9S7B3/

The manual says this should be connected to the motherboard, but it's far too short to reach around by default. Do I need this, since the SATA power is connected to my power supply?
That should connect to 4-pin fan header on your MoBo, to get PWM signal from.

If you do not connect that, all fans will run 100% and fan control is impossible.

So, technically, you don't need to connect that, since case fans will work regardless. But not all people like to hear their case fans at 100% at all times.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Aeacus answered the questions well. Some motherboards do not have a USB-C header, so unless you use the adapter just tuck that wire somewhere inside the case. It will not be used.

Some cases do not have HDD activity LEDs or even a reset button. So even though a motherboard will almost certainly have headers to connect those, the case will not have the wires.
It's not unusual to have unused headers or wires.

As for the fan hub wire, you could connect the fans to the fan hub, or directly to the motherboard. The fanhub is prefered but if you must, you can re-connect fan cables to SYS_FAN headers on the motherboard.
There is a danger that you connect too many fans onto a single header though. This can damage the motherboard and it's why the silent base comes with a fan hub. The fan hub draws power from the PSU so there is no danger of it's headers being overloaded.

I'm a little bit surprised the wire is so short.

@Aeacus can a short fan hub wire be extended?

Also, @accesscpu_ what is the exact model of your motherboard?

Reactions: kira-faye

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Some cases do not have HDD activity LEDs or even a reset button. So even though a motherboard will almost certainly have headers to connect those, the case will not have the wires.
It's not unusual to have unused headers or wires.
To add to that;
Some PC cases have RGB control button, that uses the same wires as Reset button. So, with some cases, one has a choice, either connect the two wires to the Reset pins or to the RGB controller.

The fanhub is prefered but if you must, you can re-connect fan cables to SYS_FAN headers on the motherboard.
In terms of ease of installation (connection), plugging fans into fan hub is easier, than directly into MoBo. Especially when one has more fans than MoBo has fan headers, whereby one would then need Y-splitter to connect 2 fans into single header.

But in terms of control, fan hub is not preferred. Since all the fans connected to the fan hub, will run in sync and individual fan control is impossible.
In that sense, connecting fans directly to MoBo is preferred, since one can control each fan header individually, and in turn - fans connected to there as well. Though, when using Y-splitter to connect 2 fans into single header does mean that these two fans will run in sync. Still, it offers better fan control, than just using the hub.

@Aeacus can a short fan hub wire be extended?
Yes, there is no problem in that.

E.g CableMod sells those fan cable extensions (that i've also bought and am using with my builds. Not because i ran out of length, but because of eyecandy. :) ).
Link: https://cablemod.com/product-category/cable-extensions/4-pin-fan/

The cable from the fan hub is, as explained, to allow the hub to be controlled by your motherboard via PWM, if you set the switch at the top of your case to Auto. If you don't use that connection, the switch at the top of your case provides three other fixed-speed settings, so you can control the speed of all the fans that way.

PWM is about ramping fan speed up and down in response to temperature. You can live without it unless you find you're playing with the switch a lot, or the PC is getting too hot under load or too noisy when idle.

If you want motherboard control and it won't reach, just get a 4-pin PWM extension cable and use that to connect it to a chassis fan header on the motherboard, then set the curve in BIOS.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
In that sense, connecting fans directly to MoBo is preferred, since one can control each fan header individually, and in turn - fans connected to there as well. Though, when using Y-splitter to connect 2 fans into single header does mean that these two fans will run in sync. Still, it offers better fan control, than just using the hub.
How much of a difference does it make in practical sense? If all case fans are the same type, does it really matter whether they react to VRM temperature sensors or chipset sensors?
Temperature variation across the PC case is minimaly affected by case fan power curves being individually set or grouped.

If the case fans are not the same type, then it would make more sense to connect groups separately, esp. if they are not the same size as well. But more often, case fans are uniform in size and function with the exception of a single, usually smaller exhaust fan.
Some cases come with rare, 180mm front intake fans. You really don't need those running at 100% or grouped with 120mm fans.
Yes, there is no problem in that. (extending the fan hub wire)

E.g CableMod sells those fan cable extensions (that i've also bought and am using with my builds. Not because i ran out of length, but because of eyecandy. :) ).
Ok, thanks. I was not sure. Some wires do have strict limits.
The cable from the fan hub is, as explained, to allow the hub to be controlled by your motherboard via PWM, if you set the switch at the top of your case to Auto. If you don't use that connection, the switch at the top of your case provides three other fixed-speed settings, so you can control the speed of all the fans that way.

PWM is about ramping fan speed up and down in response to temperature. You can live without it unless you find you're playing with the switch a lot, or the PC is getting too hot under load or too noisy when idle.

If you want motherboard control and it won't reach, just get a 4-pin PWM extension cable and use that to connect it to a chassis fan header on the motherboard, then set the curve in BIOS.
I didn't know about that feature of the silent base case. Handy.

As for controlling fan speed, it is certainly annoying when fans make a lot of noise moving air.
Not everyone is like me, but i would go insane if i couldn't adjust fan speed so as to make it as silent as possible.

BTW, PWM isn't so much about responding to temperature. PWM and DC fans both try to solve the same problem using different solutions. PWM modifies the signal the fans receive and starts/stops the motor many times per second. This is different from using the voltage to control the speed of the fan which is what DC does. Voltage is static in PWM fans.

This doesn't really matter all that much as long as the user isn't mixing fans of different type.
Both DC and PWM fans receive a signal from the temperature sensor (well, from the motherboard but temperature is what fans respond to). Both types of fan can adjust their speed but the way they do this is different.
This is why the fan hub itself must be connected to a system fan header on the motherboard. Without a temperature reading fans must run 100%, OR as has been mentioned, using one of manually selectable presets offered by beQuiet!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
How much of a difference does it make in practical sense? If all case fans are the same type, does it really matter whether they react to VRM temperature sensors or chipset sensors?
Regarding what sensor the fans follow, VRM or chipset, it doesn't matter, since those usually remain within same ballpark. Now, CPU sensor goes from low to high and most fans follow that.

But the main point why connecting to MoBo is preferred over fan hub, is the ability to control the fans. Sure, all same size and spec fans have same airflow specs, but with more flexed control, one can create positive or negative pressure in their system, depending on their needs.

Most cases have more exhaust fan mounts than intake fan mounts. And when one uses fan hub, where all fans run in sync, where all fan mounts are populated, case will be in negative pressure. And there is 0 one can do, to change that. You can not switch fans into positive airflow setup when they all run in sync. - This flexibility is the main reason, why to have individual control over the fans.

Ok, thanks. I was not sure. Some wires do have strict limits.
Issue arises with PSU power cables, especially when using extensions. Since with power cable extensions, ripple is increased, which in turn makes the PC more unstable. This is especially so with OC (CPU or GPU), which are very sensitive to voltage shifts and high ripple can cause unstable OC.

Reactions: 35below0

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
Following up the USB C connection:

Someone asked above what specific motherboard I have. I checked, and it's listed as ASUStek G15DK 1.0. Googling this particular model, I'm seeing others ask the same question, and it appears the response is always that that motherboard does not have a default slot. Is that accurate?

The weird thing is, the default ROG case did have a front USB C port with this motherboard, and it did allow me to connect my phone directly. Was it adapted? If so, would that cause any issues?

UPDATE:

Just took my old case apart (the default ROG case). It had a front USB board, that ran off a single blue 20 pin chord (that connected to where my current blue USB chord is connected to the motherboard). And it ran both types of USB. Was this board splitting the connection, where the current be Quite case is not?

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Someone asked above what specific motherboard I have. I checked, and it's listed as ASUStek G15DK 1.0.
Asustek is a prebuilt,
specs: https://rog.asus.com/desktops/mid-tower/rog-strix-ga15-g15-series/spec/

But this reddit thread says AsusTek G15DK has Asus Prime B550M-K MoBo in it.
MoBo specs: https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/prime/prime-b550m-k/techspec/

Almost barebones micro-ATX MoBo. If it would have 2x RAM slots, it would be bottom of the barrel.

UPDATE:

Just took my old case apart (the default ROG case). It had a front USB board, that ran off a single blue 20 pin chord (that connected to where my current blue USB chord is connected to the motherboard). And it ran both types of USB. Was this board splitting the connection, where the current be Quite case is not?
Not splitting the connection per se, since one internal USB 3.0 header supports 2x USB slots.

For most of the PC cases, these two slots end up with type-A port (rectangular one). But your prebuilt PC case converted one of the type-A ports into type-C port.

To get type-C back, you can use type-A male to type-C female adapter.
Essentially this thing,
amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Elebase-Upgraded-Connector-Chargers-Interface/dp/B07LF72431/

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
OK, so here's where I am.

To solve the usb-c issue, I just bought a simple adapter for my motherboard that will allow me to convert/plug it in directory. Easy-peezy.

However, I'm still wondering about the 4-pin power connector for fan module on the back of the case...
  1. I ordered an extension cable, that will allow it to reach the four-pin connector on the front of motherboard. But since it's already working (because I have the SATA power connected), should I disconnect that one? Or keep the SATA and the 4-pin power both connected?
  2. The only motherboard 4-pin connector I have is labeled CHA_FAN. Is this also fan control? I'm wondering if connecting two different fan power cables will be problematic (not sure).

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I ordered an extension cable, that will allow it to reach the four-pin connector on the front of motherboard. But since it's already working (because I have the SATA power connected), should I disconnect that one? Or keep the SATA and the 4-pin power both connected?
If you remove the SATA power, all fans will stop, since there is no power to them.

The 4-pin cable that you can connect to MoBo, doesn't give any additional power to the hub. It is only there to give hub RPM inputs.

The only motherboard 4-pin connector I have is labeled CHA_FAN. Is this also fan control? I'm wondering if connecting two different fan power cables will be problematic (not sure).
No issues and you should be able to make a fan curve for it from BIOS.

If you have Asus Prime B550M-K MoBo, then it has 2x CHA_FAN headers.
1st one is just right of CMOS battery and 2nd one is just left from internal USB 2.0 header.

TRENDING THREADS