where do you buy liquid nitrogen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cronic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2005
i am planning an overclocking project soon with liquid nitrogen. i am planning to use lots of diffrent cpus from diffrent eras from both amd and intel to see how far they can be pushed and what perfornance i can squeeze out :)

im hoping to oc these cpus k63 450, athlon xp 3200, fx57, (s939) fx62 (sAM2) p3 1ghs, p4 Pentium D 965 Extreme Edition and c2d x6800 ee

to keep the benchmarks fair i am going to use an agp and pci-e 6800ultra as they give pretty much the same performance in agp and pci-e

i have almost everything set up now and i know all the saftey precations the only thing i am having trouble with is getting small amounts of the damn liquid nitrogen :lol:
i live in uk around the london area so it will have to be around there

i want around 2 gallons as i dont want to run out and i can have fun with it afterwards :lol:

any help and advice on overclocking with liquid nitrogen would be apriciated thanks

G

You normally won't get nitrogen in your average drugstore. If you know someone that works at an university or in chemistry ask them.

AGWard17

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Actually,

It is very commonly used in paintball, stop by a local paint ball store and purchase the tank of the correct size and they will fill it up.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Most large animal vets should know how to get it. They tend to store a certain animal product for the artificial insemenation of cows and such.

wes

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
First google it up and make sure you understand the safety precautions. You say you're aware of them but burns and asphixiation are very common so know what you're doing. You should be able to get a 5 gallon Dewar at most welding supply houses or gas suppliers. Check your local yellow pages. It's really quite commonly available.

Good luck on the project - sounds like fun!

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
There should be a few gas supply companies close to you, but be very very careful with ln2.

It's not something to toy with, and it will kill you if not shown proper respect for its properties.

G

Actually,

It is very commonly used in paintball, stop by a local paint ball store and purchase the tank of the correct size and they will fill it up.

Errr...where exactly in the paintball business is liquid nitrogen used?

Ponk

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
Well...Find you nearest supplier and, well, steal it! It's more fun that way and you can try to take as much of it as you can carry...Not it your hands, or pockets...In a proper container.

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Actually,

Liquid Nitrogen is not used at all in paintball. The gas form of nitrogen is used, but rarely, most people use 3000psi, 4500psi hpa or CO2.

mihalis

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007

Dude, seriously... Taking your cues from Abbie Hoffman, I presume? :sarcastic:

Plekto

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Nitrogen leaks in a typical factory, for instance, displace an enormous amount of useable air by binding with the oxygen in it.

http://www.chem.purdue.edu/chemsafety/Chem/ln2.htm
1L of it that is spilled will result in 24.6 cubic feet of gas, which then displaces 5-6 times that mass of breathable air. In seconds. You won't feel light headed since our bodies naturally ignore nitrogen changes(since it's mostly what "air" is made of) - you'll just pass out and die. It's a lot like carbon monoxide that way, just it gets out of hand very quickly when things go wrong(the freezing body parts and substances exploding from thermal shock and such aside).

You're much better off experimenting with thermoelectric cooling instead. You can easily get virtually the same results with far less risk.

subnc

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Every City (just about) Has a welding Supply Store or one that fill's OS tanks. Most all have NO2. When asking to buy some-Be friendly, knowable and sound like you know how to use it. AND have a proper storage tank regardless of size. Above all all check prices at different locations, it can vary a lot.

tharmal

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
OK, but what about liquid nitrogen, pressured into underwater piping into a shallow wading pool, as a fog machine?? I saw a cool video of liquid Nitro "tossed" from an open bucket (held with really thick gloves) into a swimming pool and the affect was incredible! wanna use this in a haunted house!

Shibboleet

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

You could get the same effect from dry ice. Cheaper and safer. :)

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
T-2 Liquid Terminator Jon Ryder, or that planet from Star Trek Classification osirium or osmium! Or maybe from that Hellboy movie Department of Advanced Paranormal Research?

ss2pheonix

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
free-on will work very similarly
you can get it at your local auto parts store (or walmart) look for it under A/C recharging should be about 10-30 dollars depending on the size of the can.

Status
Not open for further replies.