Where do you get these LCD screens?

BVKnight

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
I keep seeing these LCD screens on case mods and they look really cool. Usually they are used to show temperatures, but sometimes messages. I looked around on Newegg, but maybe I just wasn't in the right category. Where can you buy LCD screens like this?

Are they hard to install and get running?

murderbox-07.jpg

aventum_right_panel_1.jpg

black-copper-01.jpg

It seems like there are quite a few that use the same screen, with a three-button design:
renovatio-05.jpg

030-01.jpg

lian-li-343-01.jpg

EDIT 2: Uploaded pics to Dropbox, hopefully they work now.

Solution
I think you're talking about matrix orbital screens... there are many different models some with buttons some without.

http://www.matrixorbital.com/

Also, FYI that site does not allow hot linking of pictures... if you want to send someone to look there you will have to grab the link for the particular build then send that..

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I think you're talking about matrix orbital screens... there are many different models some with buttons some without.

http://www.matrixorbital.com/

Also, FYI that site does not allow hot linking of pictures... if you want to send someone to look there you will have to grab the link for the particular build then send that..

Solution

BVKnight

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012

Thanks for the reply!

Those definitely seem like the type of screens I'm looking for. However, that looks like the manufacturer page, and I'm having a hard time figuring out if it is possible for me to buy the parts I need from them for just an end-user solution. E.g. I don't know if I'm buying just the LCD, or if I would need to create my own circuit board to get it to display what I want or program it, etc.

Are there any pre-packaged solutions available for someone like me who wants one of these? I'm looking particularly for something like the first picture, a simple display that I can set to show temperatures, or maybe a message.

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
you can buy them from that site... they also include instruction manuals and have models which include a bezel for being installed in a 5 1/4" bay... they connect to the mobo either via serial or usb depending on the model you buy and are programmable via software included... they also have forums detailing use...

BVKnight

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012

Thanks, I thought that the brackets they sold were only the mounting plates, but I see now that they are kits that include everything. This makes it much easier.

Matrixorbital seems like exactly what I'm looking for, but they are a little expensive :( Around $85-$100 just for the LCD. Not sure it is worth it when I may be able to get another, less flexible one for much less than that. If anyone knows of a much cheaper LCD display, that would be great. I really just want one that can show temperature numbers or fan rpms, but looks simple and subtle like the matrixorbital ones.

On a side note, I found those displays that have the three buttons. They are called Aquaero controllers, made by a German company called Aqua Computer. Apparently they are pretty top-of-the-line, and can do waaaaay more than I need in a a display. However they do look pretty cool. :D

http://hw-lab.com/aquaero-usb-4-0-review.html

Thanks for all the help! And if anyone knows of a cheaper LCD display, please let me know!