Where do you want to install Windows?

Sebastian Malton

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
I have been trying without success to install windows 7. I get to the install location screen and I have my disk listed with a partition. However, when I click next I get this error: "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the Setup log files for more information." What should I do?

Sebastian Malton

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
Thanks for the suggestion but this did not work. I get to the same spot (install location) and follow the instructions.

I follow this note "If the hard drive or partition that you have selected is unallocated, then you can just click on the Next button instead and go to step 9 since it is already empty." and click next. I get the same error "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or location an existing system partition. See the Setup log files for more information."

Sebastian Malton

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
This seems to work:

Boot windows installation from USB drive
Press Shift+F10
In console type diskpart.exe and press enter. In this program execute following:
select disk=0. Disk 0 is your destination drive, so be careful, all information on this drive will be removed.
create partition primary size=xxx, where xxx – is the size of new partition
select partition=1
active
format fs=ntfs quick
assign
exit, now you have bootable drive C

Now, remove your USB. Exit out of the installation. Restart installation, and it should work.