Where does lost download progress go?

STIHL

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013
I was downloading something, and i have lost 27GB of progress. It just reset the download to 0 after i turned off my PC then turned it on in the morning. Where does this go? I don't have a lot of space left on my PC and don't want 27GB of useless files stored. Or does it delete itself for some stupid reason?

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
highly dependent on the program you use to download.

if its a torrent using a client (including most client games) then the downloaded files remain on your pc until you complete the download, or you delete it.

if you use the 'basic' download function (of for example a web browser) .... then all the download 'could be' partially saved on your hdd as a cache file, despite the fact the browser has forgotten you had a download (in which case its taking up lots of space for no reason).

so in conclusion, it depends on what you tried to download, what program you used to download.

STIHL

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013

I was using the windows store, i'm not sure if you know if it is wasting space or not, but if so it would be nice to know. Thanks

Hi,
The WINDOWS STORE is glitchy. It will actually report that the download resets to zero when in fact it is still downloading.

If you RESET then it likely just DELETED the files though.

Restart the download and just leave it alone until it finishes.

OTHER: you can also MOVE this to another drive (open "Apps and Features" from W10 start, find program, then move it to another drive if you have one. it will create a couple new folders on its own to move the game to)

There are other ways to cleanup and/or check file folders for size:
1) open File Manager, right-click the drive (i.e. C-drive) -> properties-> Disk Cleanup-> "cleanup system files"-> (may be large leftover files you can delete for Windows Updates or whatever)

2) program called "Folder Size" http://www.mindgems.com/products/Folder-Size/Folder-Size.html (select the drive letter on bottom-left, then click the GREEN "play" icon)

You can then click the right side to organize from largest to smallest folders, expand on the left etc to go into subfolders