Where does my case fan plug into? (Also help with the other tiny case plugs)

Sebubble

Honorable
Sep 28, 2016
I watched several videos on how to build but all the case fans seemed to have the same plug. Mine doesn't. It's quite big and has two very big pins in it with what looks like two missing. I can provide a picture if no one knows what I'm on about. There doesn't seem to be any way to plug it into the motherboard.

Also I've followed steps on plugging the smaller plugs in (P+ P- etc). I looked inside my old PC and copied the order. That's okay isn't it? Does it matter which way they face?

Solution
There's only 2 types of fan plugs, the smaller pwm or the bigger molex. Molex fans only have 2. The fan won't be switching which pin is used so the others are useless. They could not be at full speed if they are wired to the 5v rather than the 12v wire. You can switch the pin actually and I've done it before. Some of my older ones that are molex have a speed switch yet are still 2 pin. Resistors are great aren't they.

Manual page 1-18 for front panel pinout.
That's molex, it goes into the psu.

The pinout for the mobo front panel header may not be the same as your old pc. Do not turn on the pc without checking that mobo manual so you don't short and kill things. What way they face doesn't matter.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
molex has 4 pins usually, to be sure post the picture

those fans on molex will work at full speed because they work directly without the mainboard control, so no speed management at all, not desirable if you do care about noise

Sebubble

Honorable
Sep 28, 2016

The manual only shows one row of plugs, the others being hidden behind so I couldn't see which ones they were. I will check again but is there any diagram that shows the order of those plugs on a ASUS LGA 1151 STRIX Z270E GAMING Intel Z270 ATX Motherboard?

Thanks for the help with case fan. I've looked it up and the 2 pins is normal. I just hope the wire is long enough to reach the PSU now.

There's only 2 types of fan plugs, the smaller pwm or the bigger molex. Molex fans only have 2. The fan won't be switching which pin is used so the others are useless. They could not be at full speed if they are wired to the 5v rather than the 12v wire. You can switch the pin actually and I've done it before. Some of my older ones that are molex have a speed switch yet are still 2 pin. Resistors are great aren't they.

Manual page 1-18 for front panel pinout.

Solution
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Sebubble : "Where does the Molex connector plug into the PSU?"

Yes, the "PERIF" cables in the PSU are the 4-pin Molex connectors where you can plug your Molex case fans.

The cables connectors should look like this:
connectors_5_2.png

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Sebubble : "24 pin cable in the wrong way around?"

It only fits in one way. I'm just going to merge all your cabling issues threads.

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Sebubble : "Where does CPU cable go?"

Sebubble

Honorable
Sep 28, 2016

Thank you! Apologies for the flood. I'm never sure I'm posting in the right section. Sorry! Thanks again for all your help.

Sebubble

Honorable
Sep 28, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Sebubble : "VGA cable in the wrong way around?"

No cables came marked as PCI-E, however it came with two VGA cables and I guess they're the same thing?