Question Where does this Static come from? (Since new PC)

May 10, 2022
My microphone makes at seemingly random spikes of static. Sometimes can go for a few minutes without anything then suddenly a jolt of static occurs. Two links below:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jOrS0-qv3bTyh7EgKHL6NI3jbaOY2LGO/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yaT4S2aNwvWKbTZZF0mDVzJK5y5vYLZd/view?usp=sharing
Setup
  • Audio: PC --> Motu M2 (interface) --> Shure SM7b
  • GPU: 3080 ti
  • CPU: I9 12900k
  • Motherboard: Asus Z690-A Prime
  • RAM: 32gb DDR5
  • Corsair RM1000x (1000 w)
  • Windows 11
Below are some observations I've made with the issue.
  • This started happening after a new PC build.
  • When I change the sample rate (eg 48khz --> 44.1 khz) I sometimes get a static spike the second I click to change the sample rate. This is the only way I have been able to cause the static but still doesnt happen every time.
  • Static persists in both 48khz and 44.1khz.
  • There doesn't seem to be any correlation to CPU / GPU load. Stress tested both and static the same as on idle desktop.
  • The static occurs even when I listen to the microphone through windows audio. Doesn't have any correlation to recording software (Eg OBS).
  • Have plugged the audio interface into all my USB ports, both front and back panels static still persists.
  • Plugged audio interface into laptop, Static is gone
  • Plugged in a USB condenser mic (Razer siren), Static is gone.
Any help will greatly be appreciated :)

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

(Since PC upgrade)
That's what the thread title states, what did you upgrade in your system? If you swapped platforms but left the older OS drive intact, that's the issue. You're advised to reinstall your OS when you perform a platform change/upgrade.

After changing sample/audio settings, do you perform a reboot of the system? Per your interface, did you install drivers listed on their support site, here, (version 90087) manually and in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

As for your platform, did you manually install all relevant drivers in said elevated command, prior to plugging in and installing the interface+audio equipment? BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing? OS? Window 10 or Windows 11?

Reactions: Aceyfacey
May 10, 2022
Thanks for the reply dude!
I pretty much changed everything in the PC, the only thing I had from the old system was my SSD. Which maybe could be the case? I didnt reinstall windows for the upgrade.
I have installed 90087. I am quite certain I have the drivers, the only one I really installed relevant to audio are the Motu drivers and Realtek drivrs.
Motherboard bios verison: will check , I left it at the default one.

Update: I had an old SSD with windows 10 on. I tried it out and seems like the static has gone. Don't know if that could have anything to do with it.