where does windows 10 download to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaun88

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2012
my PC has downloaded windows 10 but before I install it I would like to know where windows 10 has downloaded to so I can keep a copy for future, incase I need to reinstall it etc

Solution
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If you need to install or reinstall Windows 10, you can use the tools on this page to create your own installation media using either a USB flash drive or a DVD.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

That's not how it works.

Use the link SR-71 Blackbird gave you and install media creation tool, either 32 or 64bit depending what you have.

I've used this to fresh install after an upgrade.

Once you install the media creation tool, it will ask you how you want Win10 bootable on either USB or DVD (which will require burning software to burn) and which version of Win10 to download, there will be only a few selections so make sure you choose the version you upgraded to..Or there will be problems, its simple.

USB is easier, if your Bios allows USB bootup it should be all go.

Win10 will download and the media creation tool will setup the USB for you if you chose that option, just make sure you have the USB plugged, and preferably 4GB minimum for 64Bit version. Some sites say 8GB and have noidea where they got that information. I downloaded 64Bit Win10 Pro and it wanted something like 3.10GB.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Also important, for the fresh install to work, you must have already gone through the process of upgrading.

Your windows key will be hashed on Microsoft's servers so when you do a fresh install and prompted for your key, skip that part. Once Windows10 is installed it connects to the internet and verifies and activates your copy using your previous Windows Cdkey.

So don't attempt to enter your key when Windows10 asks for it, it wont work.

Status
Not open for further replies.