Where im at with my FX-8150 overclock (Opinions welcome!)

Hatekraze

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016
-Antec 1100 case
-970A-UD3P mobo (Fan pulling air off VRMs as well)
-FX-8150 cooled by an H105 with push/pull fans (set of stock SP120L up top, and a set of SP120 performance editions below them)
-4x4gb sticks Corsair vengeance 1866 tall
-Gigabyte 7870 oc edition
-TX750 psu

Well, im back with a new mobo to see what i can actually squeeze out of this chip. It seems i didnt win the silicone lottery, but ive never been a real lucky guy to begin with lol Currently the best ive been able to do stable is 4.5ghz on all 8 cores at 1.45v (220 fsb). Although i have left the cpu nb and ht link at 2000 mhz for now to see what i can get cpu clock to first. And this mobo wont let me set my ram to 1866 or even 1600mhz settings. This is very anoying, but ill fight with that after everythings stable elsewhere. Also after i feel i found the best 24/7 settings i can get on 8 cores, i want to step it down to 6 cores and do the same thing and see if i can get a noticeable amount more since i dont really have any real use for 8 cores in games and etc. This is with all power settings off, and LLC set to medium. Set at 1.45v in bios, it would idle at 1.45-1.46v and drop to 1.44v under load. No spikes up or down that hwmonitor can pick up other than that. Im still trying to figure out if this is an ideal LLC level or too high. My chip needs the 1.44v under load so the next setting down fails from dropping to 1.4-1.42v i beleive it was. I could go lower LLC and higher voltage at load, but im creeping up to 1.5v then and i dont know how far i really want to push it for daily use. I beleive i want it set to be as close as possible under load so that i dont have to send alot of voltage threw it when its not loaded up, right? Its definately a power hungry little guy lol What are your guy's LLC set to stay at compared to whats set in bios?

Temps have been amazing compared to my old 120mmx38mm clc. Im currently trying to get a stable 4.6ghz at 1.475v (1.45 under load) at the moment and the max ive ever seen in core temps are 53*C. Socket temps are confusing me since with the new board it wont show up anywhere as "CPU" like it was before. I beleive it is now my "Temp2" which is currently sitting at 47*C under load at my highest heat load. Previously my socket would consistently be 10* higher than my core temp with the old cooler. Does this sound right that the cooler can disapate the heat faster than the cores produce heat? Ive also still got another 100rpm left in the SP120L fans since at the highest bios fan settings i still havent reached the temp for max rpm. Im really enjoying not having to worry about temps, although my living room has been insanely hot now. You all werent kidding about the space heater comments! I guess i can also mention that these temps were also with the summertime high ambient temps even. With a/c on id do even better

EDIT: Ive been using prime95 for stress testing. I see someone on another post recomended to not use the newest prime edition for testing, something about after 26 if was different. Random bit ive seen, but any truth to this or something i should change to?

Hatekraze

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016
Ok, well i tried to get it stable at 4.6ghz by playing around with settings, but couldnt without going over 1.475v. Although i was close, at one point i passed small ftts for 1hr50mins. I dont want to get too close to 1.5v personally, since it likely wouldnt be worth it anyways. Although it gave me a good chance to try changing fsb and cpu nb/ht link to see if anything made it more stable. Seems around 220-230 fsb apeared to be slightly more stable according to my prime tests. But they were all pretty identical at the same clock speeds according to testing with prime

Now since i decided playing around with 4.6 was wasting my time, ive pretty much got it stable at 4.45ghz and 1.43v now. This is 228x19.5, and cpu nb/ht link both set at 2300mhz. Memory as a result also is up to 1520mhz or so. LLC set at medium still. Set at 1.43125v i believe in bios, hw monitor shows 1.43-1.44(max reading) at idle and 1.41v (min) under full small ftt prime95 load. Max temp is 45*c core, 44*socket, so no complaints there. Stable for 9 hours running small ftts last night, and 2 hours blend today as well. Still going to play around with cpu nb and ht link to see if they make any difference, and then once everything is solid, try dropping the cpu nb voltage as much as i can as well (set to 1.25v at the moment to be sure it wasnt causing issues)

Im going back and forth on whether or not i should drop it another 100mhz to lower the voltages a little more. I want it to be for 24/7, and not burn out the chip within a month lol But if i can get a better clock on 6 cores ill probably run that anyways. I was able to before, but heat was an limiting factor as well as the vrms throttling so the lower power consumption helped a ton. I dont think id have that with this setup now anyways so its probably not going to net me any better.

Hatekraze

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016
Set stable at 4.45ghz (240x18.5) @ 1.43v. CPU NB at 2400mhz @1.2v, HT link at 2640mhz. Ram so far is at 1598mhz from the fsb increase, 8-9-8-24-1T @ 1.55v. Is prime95 blend for 12 hours (set using 80% of ram) a good stress tester for ram timings? I see so many varying opinions on how to test it. I was going to use memtest86 on a boot drive to be sure, but it only reads my ram at the stock 1866 9-10-9-27-2T for some reason. I know the ram itself is good so this seems pointless. Unless it showing wrong and is actually my settings?

Either way, im loving the speed now. My overclock coupled with my recent SSD install has been very perky now and my games have been smoother than my previous 4.3ghz on 6 cores before my mobo and cooling upgrade. And temps are 45*C max on prime small ftts and idling lower than stock with my previous h80 cooler