Where is all my hdd space?

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
My D drive is only for games pretty much. I checked my steam folder and its a total of 156 GB. My 1 TB hdd has over 500 GB used. My GOG folder is probably around 30 GB. Somethings not adding up. I checked my restore point configuration and it shows the minimum possible memory used for restore points. Though Im wondering If I don't manually set it does it copy the whole drive because that would make sense to me that that's where the other 250 GB is coming from.

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
I looked into windirstat earlier today and was kind of worried about some posts I saw over on windirstat subreddit claiming major download locations might be malicious. https://www.reddit.com/r/WinDirStat/comments/39cm3a/best_place_to_download_windirstat/
Do you know the best place to get it?

USAFRet

Titan

The link I posted above is direct from WinDirStat
The SourceForge link here - https://windirstat.net/download.html

Windows 10 has a facility to show used space. Go to Settings/System/Storage/ and select the drive. The app breaks the content down into categories that will assist in determining where the data is located. It also has a switch to change VM , restore points,etc.

spyguy

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017

I did this, and it does show that games take up 400 something GB. But my combined game folders have around 200Gb. I don't understand how they can be taking up 200 more GBs of space then what I have installed.
Im going to buy a new hdd around the 17th of this month, then I can make a good backup of all my files. Until then Im a little worried about downloading any new applications after an earlier experience this year where a backup application turned out to be adware. At least once I get a new hdd I can do an easy reinstall of windows 10 and restore all my files much easier then I can right now.

USAFRet

Titan

WinDirStat.
Run as Administrator.
Post the screencap.

The "Storage" thing and/or what you see in File Explorer in Windows is woefully inadequate as far as reporting what is going on.