Where is my bottleneck?

B-Dog

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
Is my cpu a bottleneck for gaming? I can play BF2 with medium settings but I get intense skipping sometimes and I am starting to assume that the CPU is choking the system. Most people I talk to say that with my GPU I should be able to run everything on high. Is the CPU underpowered?

AMD64 3500+
Asus A8V Mobo
ATI Radeon X800XT PE AGP
2Gb Corsair XMS 3200LL
SB X-Fi Extreme Music Edition
250GB WD 7200

I'm thinking of upgrading everything to a 7800 SLI setup with FX-57 but if I can just get a good leap with my current config with a small change I would do that first.

Thanks in advance for your opinion on this matter...

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
well in device manager under IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers click the plus sign to open then right click parallel ATA controller, click properties, if Let BIOS select transfer mode is checked, then uncheck it, then in the drop down menu select the highest Ultra DMA mode listed... they vary according to drives, mine is Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra 33.......

Do this for each of your drives... It should be enough, but after restarting, make sure Windows has not changed it back to Let BIOS select transfer mode...... if it did then we can check it in the BIOS

B-Dog

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
They are set to ultraDMA if available and the current transfer mode is Ultra DMA Mode 2. The only other option is PIO Only

B-Dog

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
X800XT Platinum Edition...
3500+

Shouldn't I be able to run it on high everything with nary a stutter?

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
There are some other things we can check if you are interested. I had the same problem awhile back when I played DVD's but now Problem Solved :)

pharoah

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
when was the last time you did a defrag,cleanup,virus scan,spyware scan etc etc ive seen so many machines people said my hardware is messed up and it was the fact thay hadnt done a disk cleanup or a defrag since they got there computer and was totally riddled with viruses and spyare

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
id agree its probably norton or somthing... how much hd space are u using? when was the last time u defragged? how many processes do u have open (idealy there should be 25, but 30 is normal, for me at least) id say a reformat would most likely do the trick if ur up to it, like every1 said u should run that game maxxed out at 16x12 with AA and AF on... oh if u didnt say ur res nows prob a good time to, i mean that could be the problem if ur running it at 20x16... no card can run games maxxed at that res.