Where is speakerphone key located on Motorola V551?

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola, alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I have had my Motorola V551 phone for a day. I find the manual very
difficult to use. The phone seems to be super, but the manual seems to
be anything but.

I have been searching for the speakerphone key so that I can turn the
speaker on. Does anyone know where it is or how to activate the $#$%#%%
speakerphone on this phone?

Thanks.

John
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

jomason@cba.ua.edu wrote:
> I have had my Motorola V551 phone for a day. I find the manual very
> difficult to use. The phone seems to be super, but the manual seems to
> be anything but.
>
> I have been searching for the speakerphone key so that I can turn the
> speaker on. Does anyone know where it is or how to activate the $#$%#%%
> speakerphone on this phone?
>
> Thanks.
>
> John
>


Once you are in a call, it is one of the soft keys.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola, alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

jomason@cba.ua.edu wrote:
> I have had my Motorola V551 phone for a day. I find the manual very
> difficult to use. The phone seems to be super, but the manual seems
to
> be anything but.
>
> I have been searching for the speakerphone key so that I can turn the
> speaker on. Does anyone know where it is or how to activate the
$#$%#%%
> speakerphone on this phone?
>
> Thanks.
>
> John


John,

If it is loike other motoola phones, once you are in a call, press and
hold the 'talk' key for a second and the speakerphone activates...
Isaac
 

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004
777
0
18,980
0
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Bob Horvath wrote:

> jomason@cba.ua.edu wrote:
>
>> I have had my Motorola V551 phone for a day. I find the manual very
>> difficult to use. The phone seems to be super, but the manual seems to
>> be anything but.
>>
>> I have been searching for the speakerphone key so that I can turn the
>> speaker on. Does anyone know where it is or how to activate the $#$%#%%
>> speakerphone on this phone?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> John
>>
>
>
> Once you are in a call, it is one of the soft keys.


Yup, the soft key on the right acts as an on/off toggle.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

As shown on page 78 of the manual press the "Speaker" button (hint: look at
the display after the call is connected) or press the MENU button and then
"Spkrphn On."

<jomason@cba.ua.edu> wrote in message
news:1103891814.680848.314580@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>I have had my Motorola V551 phone for a day. I find the manual very
> difficult to use. The phone seems to be super, but the manual seems to
> be anything but.
>
> I have been searching for the speakerphone key so that I can turn the
> speaker on. Does anyone know where it is or how to activate the $#$%#%%
> speakerphone on this phone?
>
> Thanks.
>
> John
>
 

ann

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
86
0
18,630
0
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Wow ... the manual has the answer can you believe it. It's amazing how many
people never bother to open the little thing up.

One thing I find helpful is to download the manual to a PC and use the find
feature with Adobe ... I keep the manual on PPC and desktop PC so I always
have it with me.

___________________
Ann
Motorola V551
iPAQ 4355

"brobin" <nospam@atmyplace.com> wrote in message
news:CyXyd.4453$wD4.893@fe1.texas.rr.com...
> As shown on page 78 of the manual press the "Speaker" button (hint: look
> at the display after the call is connected) or press the MENU button and
> then "Spkrphn On."
>
> <jomason@cba.ua.edu> wrote in message
> news:1103891814.680848.314580@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>>I have had my Motorola V551 phone for a day. I find the manual very
>> difficult to use. The phone seems to be super, but the manual seems to
>> be anything but.
>>
>> I have been searching for the speakerphone key so that I can turn the
>> speaker on. Does anyone know where it is or how to activate the $#$%#%%
>> speakerphone on this phone?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> John
>>
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote in message
news:41cd5e1e$0$23957$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net...
> Wow ... the manual has the answer can you believe it. It's amazing how
> many people never bother to open the little thing up.
>
> One thing I find helpful is to download the manual to a PC and use the
> find feature with Adobe ... I keep the manual on PPC and desktop PC so I
> always have it with me.
>
> ___________________
> Ann
> Motorola V551
> iPAQ 4355
>

Ann,

With all due respect I don' t think the V551 manual is anything to write
home about. Yes, it does provide some basic information but I have found at
least 2 instances where the manual is in accurate with respect to the menu
selections that are available on this phone. It's a good phone but Cingular
and Motorola could do a better job of documenting it's useage, especially in
a Cingular network.

Cheers
TC
 

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004
777
0
18,980
0
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Tony Clark wrote:
> "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote in message
> news:41cd5e1e$0$23957$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net...
>
>>Wow ... the manual has the answer can you believe it. It's amazing how
>>many people never bother to open the little thing up.
>>
>>One thing I find helpful is to download the manual to a PC and use the
>>find feature with Adobe ... I keep the manual on PPC and desktop PC so I
>>always have it with me.
>>
>>___________________
>>Ann
>>Motorola V551
>>iPAQ 4355
>>
>
>
> Ann,
>
> With all due respect I don' t think the V551 manual is anything to write
> home about. Yes, it does provide some basic information but I have found at
> least 2 instances where the manual is in accurate with respect to the menu
> selections that are available on this phone. It's a good phone but Cingular
> and Motorola could do a better job of documenting it's useage, especially in
> a Cingular network.
>
> Cheers
> TC
>
>


AFAIC, a carrier ought to be posting the user manuals of every phone
they add to their inventory, and keep them there even when a model is
dropped. Again, I'm sorry, this would never work because it makes way
too much sense. Forget I mentioned it.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%50Bd.12930$RH4.3327@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote in message
> news:41cd5e1e$0$23957$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net...
> > Wow ... the manual has the answer can you believe it. It's amazing how
> > many people never bother to open the little thing up.
> >
> > One thing I find helpful is to download the manual to a PC and use the
> > find feature with Adobe ... I keep the manual on PPC and desktop PC so I
> > always have it with me.
> >
> > ___________________
> > Ann
> > Motorola V551
> > iPAQ 4355
> >
>
> Ann,
>
> With all due respect I don' t think the V551 manual is anything to write
> home about. Yes, it does provide some basic information but I have found
at
> least 2 instances where the manual is in accurate with respect to the menu
> selections that are available on this phone. It's a good phone but
Cingular
> and Motorola could do a better job of documenting it's useage, especially
in
> a Cingular network.


Please name those 2 instances where the manual is incorrect.

References please. Preferably with the page numbers.

Thanks,
--
SS
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Jer wrote:
> *Tony Clark wrote:
> > "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote in message
> > news:41cd5e1e$0$23957$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net...
> >
> >>Wow ... the manual has the answer can you believe it. It's amazing
> how
> >>many people never bother to open the little thing up.
> >>
> >>One thing I find helpful is to download the manual to a PC and use
> the
> >>find feature with Adobe ... I keep the manual on PPC and desktop PC
> so I
> >>always have it with me.
> >>
> >>___________________
> >>Ann
> >>Motorola V551
> >>iPAQ 4355
> >>
> >
> >
> > Ann,
> >
> > With all due respect I don' t think the V551 manual is anything to
> write
> > home about. Yes, it does provide some basic information but I have
> found at
> > least 2 instances where the manual is in accurate with respect to
> the menu
> > selections that are available on this phone. It's a good phone but
> Cingular
> > and Motorola could do a better job of documenting it's useage,
> especially in
> > a Cingular network.
> >
> > Cheers
> > TC
> >
> >

>
>
> AFAIC, a carrier ought to be posting the user manuals of every phone
> they add to their inventory, and keep them there even when a model
> is
> dropped. Again, I'm sorry, this would never work because it makes
> way
> too much sense. Forget I mentioned it.
>
> --
> jer
> email reply - I am not a 'ten' *

Sorry, you all just seemd to be in a quoting mood so I joined in.


--
johhnywave

Motorola V551 Camera Phone
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://cellphoneforums.net
View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t161019.html
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
news:cr24nc$ajr@library1.airnews.net...
> Tony Clark wrote:
> > "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote in message
> > news:41cd5e1e$0$23957$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net...
> >
> >>Wow ... the manual has the answer can you believe it. It's amazing how
> >>many people never bother to open the little thing up.
> >>
> >>One thing I find helpful is to download the manual to a PC and use the
> >>find feature with Adobe ... I keep the manual on PPC and desktop PC so I
> >>always have it with me.
> >>
> >>___________________
> >>Ann
> >>Motorola V551
> >>iPAQ 4355
> >>
> >
> >
> > Ann,
> >
> > With all due respect I don' t think the V551 manual is anything to write
> > home about. Yes, it does provide some basic information but I have found
at
> > least 2 instances where the manual is in accurate with respect to the
menu
> > selections that are available on this phone. It's a good phone but
Cingular
> > and Motorola could do a better job of documenting it's useage,
especially in
> > a Cingular network.
> >
> > Cheers
> > TC
> >
> >
>
>
> AFAIC, a carrier ought to be posting the user manuals of every phone
> they add to their inventory, and keep them there even when a model is
> dropped. Again, I'm sorry, this would never work because it makes way
> too much sense. Forget I mentioned it.

Actually it makes no sense.

Why would a wireless service provider write user manuals for handsets.
Shouldn't the handset manufacturer do that?

--
SS
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In message <33jsosF418tjrU1@individual.net> "Shaolin Superfly"
<shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:

>> AFAIC, a carrier ought to be posting the user manuals of every phone
>> they add to their inventory, and keep them there even when a model is
>> dropped. Again, I'm sorry, this would never work because it makes way
>> too much sense. Forget I mentioned it.
>
>Actually it makes no sense.
>
>Why would a wireless service provider write user manuals for handsets.
>Shouldn't the handset manufacturer do that?

Because a provider can create a homogenous manual which covers only the
features available on the network and which includes provider specific
instructions.


--
There was a survey just recently that revealed the following results;

40% of women said they thought their ass was too big.
40% of women said they thought their ass was too little.
20% of women said they didn't care what their ass looked like, they were
going to stay married to him anyway.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Jer wrote:
>
>
> AFAIC, a carrier ought to be posting the user manuals of every phone
> they add to their inventory, and keep them there even when a model is
> dropped. Again, I'm sorry, this would never work because it makes way
> too much sense. Forget I mentioned it.
>

http://www.cingular.com/customer_service/phones_devices
 

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004
777
0
18,980
0
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Bob Horvath wrote:

> Jer wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> AFAIC, a carrier ought to be posting the user manuals of every phone
>> they add to their inventory, and keep them there even when a model is
>> dropped. Again, I'm sorry, this would never work because it makes way
>> too much sense. Forget I mentioned it.
>>
>
> http://www.cingular.com/customer_service/phones_devices


This looks okay for current models (at least some of them), I've not
seen this. But what about all those models they've dropped over the years?

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
news:cr3q50$jtm@library1.airnews.net...
> Shaolin Superfly wrote:
> > You're just not getting it. Disengage your current train of thought for
a
> > second. The handset manufacturer writes a manual for each handset it
> > produces. If you as a user have trouble using your handset, and the
manual
> > doesn't have your answer, contact the salesperson who sold you the phone
and
> > they will be happy to answer your questions. It's their job.
> >
> > I give each of my customers my cell number for just such a reason.
> >
> > Saving Cingular millions of dollars each year. :)
> >
> > --
> > SS
>
> Well, not everybody keeps up with the printed material that may have
> come with a new phone, let alone any used equipment we may have acquired
> along the way. Even if we did, it may not be at hand if we're not at
> home - we do use things things while away. In fact, if we weren't away
> so much, what's the point of even having a cell phone? How 'bout
> posting your cell nmber here so those of us that have questions at 3am
> can get the help we all so desperately need when we're drunk, the bar
> has closed and kicked us out, we're dead tired and the fog is clouding
> our ability to dial an address book entry for assistance while we're
> puking our guts out? Remember, the regular CSRs are also saving
> millions by not working night shift. Come on SS, be a peach, lend a
> hand to the unwashed huddled masses at your door. Well, you asked me to
> disengage my current train of thought for a second, and look what
> happened...


I do this for MY customers. Those who come into my Cingular owned retail
store and purchase service from me. If you bought your phone off the net,
through telesales, or some other process you are on your own. We have a nice
CS hotline in the store for you. I'm paid on commission.

BTW if you are looking for manuals for out of date phones you can find them
in PDF format on the manufacturers websites.

--
SS
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <%50Bd.12930$RH4.3327@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net> on Thu, 30 Dec 2004
23:23:39 GMT, "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:

>With all due respect I don' t think the V551 manual is anything to write
>home about.

Unfortunately, that seems to be true of many cell phones in particular, and
consumer products in general.

>Yes, it does provide some basic information but I have found at
>least 2 instances where the manual is in accurate with respect to the menu
>selections that are available on this phone.

The usual problem is publication lead times in the rush to market, which means
that the documentation has to be written before "feature freeze".

>It's a good phone but Cingular
>and Motorola could do a better job of documenting it's useage, especially in
>a Cingular network.

Motivation is low, because both companies undoubtedly know that the great
majority of people don't RTFM. :)

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <m2i9t0tgnjdtc02iqb3gkek8r6j1t861tu@news.octanews.com> on Thu, 30 Dec 2004
20:35:20 -0700, DevilsPGD <devilspgd@crazyhat.net> wrote:

>In message <33jsosF418tjrU1@individual.net> "Shaolin Superfly"
><shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:
>
>>> AFAIC, a carrier ought to be posting the user manuals of every phone
>>> they add to their inventory, and keep them there even when a model is
>>> dropped. Again, I'm sorry, this would never work because it makes way
>>> too much sense. Forget I mentioned it.
>>
>>Actually it makes no sense.
>>
>>Why would a wireless service provider write user manuals for handsets.
>>Shouldn't the handset manufacturer do that?
>
>Because a provider can create a homogenous manual which covers only the
>features available on the network and which includes provider specific
>instructions.

That's a good point, and is normally covered by the carrier having the
manufacturer write a carrier-specific manual, which has happened in some
cases. It doesn't happen more often because carriers now carry so many
different phones that have relatively short lives, making that kind of
customization impractical.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
 

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004
777
0
18,980
0
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Shaolin Superfly wrote:

> "Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
> news:cr3q50$jtm@library1.airnews.net...
>
>>Shaolin Superfly wrote:
>>
>>>You're just not getting it. Disengage your current train of thought for
>
> a
>
>>>second. The handset manufacturer writes a manual for each handset it
>>>produces. If you as a user have trouble using your handset, and the
>
> manual
>
>>>doesn't have your answer, contact the salesperson who sold you the phone
>
> and
>
>>>they will be happy to answer your questions. It's their job.
>>>
>>>I give each of my customers my cell number for just such a reason.
>>>
>>>Saving Cingular millions of dollars each year. :)
>>>
>>>--
>>>SS
>>
>>Well, not everybody keeps up with the printed material that may have
>>come with a new phone, let alone any used equipment we may have acquired
>>along the way. Even if we did, it may not be at hand if we're not at
>>home - we do use things things while away. In fact, if we weren't away
>>so much, what's the point of even having a cell phone? How 'bout
>>posting your cell nmber here so those of us that have questions at 3am
>>can get the help we all so desperately need when we're drunk, the bar
>>has closed and kicked us out, we're dead tired and the fog is clouding
>>our ability to dial an address book entry for assistance while we're
>>puking our guts out? Remember, the regular CSRs are also saving
>>millions by not working night shift. Come on SS, be a peach, lend a
>>hand to the unwashed huddled masses at your door. Well, you asked me to
>>disengage my current train of thought for a second, and look what
>>happened...
>
>
>
> I do this for MY customers. Those who come into my Cingular owned retail
> store and purchase service from me. If you bought your phone off the net,
> through telesales, or some other process you are on your own. We have a nice
> CS hotline in the store for you. I'm paid on commission.

Commission? Well, that explains everything. Curious... what is your
afterhours 411 fee?

>
> BTW if you are looking for manuals for out of date phones you can find them
> in PDF format on the manufacturers websites.


Not all of them.


--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Jer wrote:
> Shaolin Superfly wrote:
>

>
>>
>> BTW if you are looking for manuals for out of date phones you can find
>> them
>> in PDF format on the manufacturers websites.
>
>
>
> Not all of them.
>
>

Such as?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
news:cr6vvl$ovc@library2.airnews.net...
> Shaolin Superfly wrote:
>
> > "Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
> > news:cr3q50$jtm@library1.airnews.net...
> >
> >>Shaolin Superfly wrote:

> > I do this for MY customers. Those who come into my Cingular owned retail
> > store and purchase service from me. If you bought your phone off the
net,
> > through telesales, or some other process you are on your own. We have a
nice
> > CS hotline in the store for you. I'm paid on commission.
>
> Commission? Well, that explains everything. Curious... what is your
> afterhours 411 fee?


Again you just can't get it through you thick skull! They are MY customers.
Once they have purchased wireless service from me I will do anything, within
reason, to help them with any problem they have. This is the way a true
salesman provides customer service. Half of my business comes from
referrals.

If you bought a new Ford truck from a salesman at dealer X you don't then
go to a dealer Y and ask another salesman questions about the truck. They'd
laugh in your face and tell you to go back where you bought it. Even though
they both sell Ford trucks. It's common sense. Something that is apparantly
beyond you.

I'm typing this really slow so you will understand.


>
> >
> > BTW if you are looking for manuals for out of date phones you can find
them
> > in PDF format on the manufacturers websites.
>
>
> Not all of them.


We need references please. Name one phone from any major manufacturer,
carried by Cingular, made within the last 4 years, that has no manual
available.
 

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004
777
0
18,980
0
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Shaolin Superfly wrote:


>>>CS hotline in the store for you. I'm paid on commission.
>>
>>Commission? Well, that explains everything. Curious... what is your
>>afterhours 411 fee?
>
>
>
> Again you just can't get it through you thick skull! They are MY customers.
> Once they have purchased wireless service from me I will do anything, within
> reason, to help them with any problem they have. This is the way a true
> salesman provides customer service. Half of my business comes from
> referrals.
>
> If you bought a new Ford truck from a salesman at dealer X you don't then
> go to a dealer Y and ask another salesman questions about the truck. They'd
> laugh in your face and tell you to go back where you bought it. Even though
> they both sell Ford trucks. It's common sense. Something that is apparantly
> beyond you.

If I've already bought the truck, why would I care to ever see a
salesperson again? But, to follow your analogy, I purchased a new sedan
in 1983, and I can go to ANY Mercedes dealer to get great service,
long-winded answers, really bad coffee (including refills), and multiple
blank stares any time they and I share the same GPS coordinates. I
don't think they laugh until after I leave with all their donuts.

>
> I'm typing this really slow so you will understand.

Oh, okay, no wonder this is taking so long.


>
> We need references please. Name one phone from any major manufacturer,
> carried by Cingular, made within the last 4 years, that has no manual
> available.
>
>

Within the last 4 years? You're kidding, right? People I know have had
their phones a lot longer than that, so long in fact they don't have any
user manuals, assuming they had one to start with. However, following
along again, how 'bout a Oki 201R, it's a 3w AMPS phone currently
installed in the roof of a truck that hasn't seen pavement since the
phone was installed, unless the kid swiped it again after he grew up.
It was purchased new from SBMS and installed by a tech that commuted out
from Lubbock in 1986, and was modified for E-AMPS service the following
year when the Moto TLD-1100 went tits up after crossing a creek with the
door still open. (long stupid brother story). Near as I remember,
there's a way of adjusting the handset backlight level, but for the life
of me it's slipped the noodle (among a few other things).

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <cr7jck$iu9@library2.airnews.net> on Sat, 01 Jan 2005 19:39:43 -0600, Jer
<gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

>Shaolin Superfly wrote:

>> If you bought a new Ford truck from a salesman at dealer X you don't then
>> go to a dealer Y and ask another salesman questions about the truck. They'd
>> laugh in your face and tell you to go back where you bought it. Even though
>> they both sell Ford trucks. It's common sense. Something that is apparantly
>> beyond you.
>
>If I've already bought the truck, why would I care to ever see a
>salesperson again? But, to follow your analogy, I purchased a new sedan
>in 1983, and I can go to ANY Mercedes dealer to get great service,
>long-winded answers, really bad coffee (including refills), and multiple
>blank stares any time they and I share the same GPS coordinates. I
>don't think they laugh until after I leave with all their donuts.

All it takes is a great deal of money. Are you willing to pony up that kind
of money for cellular? ;-)

>> We need references please. Name one phone from any major manufacturer,
>> carried by Cingular, made within the last 4 years, that has no manual
>> available.
>
>Within the last 4 years? You're kidding, right? People I know have had
>their phones a lot longer than that, so long in fact they don't have any
>user manuals, assuming they had one to start with. However, following
>along again, how 'bout a Oki 201R, it's a 3w AMPS phone currently
>installed in the roof of a truck that hasn't seen pavement since the
>phone was installed, unless the kid swiped it again after he grew up.
>...

If that's the best you can do, don't expect us to take you seriously.

--
Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
 

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004
777
0
18,980
0
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

John Navas wrote:
> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <cr7jck$iu9@library2.airnews.net> on Sat, 01 Jan 2005 19:39:43 -0600, Jer
> <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
>
>
>>Shaolin Superfly wrote:
>
>
>>>If you bought a new Ford truck from a salesman at dealer X you don't then
>>>go to a dealer Y and ask another salesman questions about the truck. They'd
>>>laugh in your face and tell you to go back where you bought it. Even though
>>>they both sell Ford trucks. It's common sense. Something that is apparantly
>>>beyond you.
>>
>>If I've already bought the truck, why would I care to ever see a
>>salesperson again? But, to follow your analogy, I purchased a new sedan
>>in 1983, and I can go to ANY Mercedes dealer to get great service,
>>long-winded answers, really bad coffee (including refills), and multiple
>>blank stares any time they and I share the same GPS coordinates. I
>>don't think they laugh until after I leave with all their donuts.
>
>
> All it takes is a great deal of money. Are you willing to pony up that kind
> of money for cellular? ;-)

Sometimes, I feel I already have. :)

>
>
>>>We need references please. Name one phone from any major manufacturer,
>>>carried by Cingular, made within the last 4 years, that has no manual
>>>available.
>>
>>Within the last 4 years? You're kidding, right? People I know have had
>>their phones a lot longer than that, so long in fact they don't have any
>>user manuals, assuming they had one to start with. However, following
>>along again, how 'bout a Oki 201R, it's a 3w AMPS phone currently
>>installed in the roof of a truck that hasn't seen pavement since the
>>phone was installed, unless the kid swiped it again after he grew up.
>>...
>
>
> If that's the best you can do, don't expect us to take you seriously.
>

Well, sorry Johnny, that's the deal, take it or leave it. This
particular truck spends it's entire life in Amps World (Texas panhandle)
where CDPD still rules and legacy equipment is still law. There is
another truck with a Hughes phone, but I can't recall the model number
just now, but age is similar. All considered, I wonder if current
equipment choices can tolerate the extreme conditions these legacy
phones have survived through the years, and maybe something better than
disposable consumer grade is available for future upgrades.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'