[SOLVED] Where is the Analog to Digital converter for output on a PC?

TenekTek

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Hi! I have an older PC and I was wondering where the A to D converter chip is on a PC? I'm assuming that it's on the PCI-E graphics card (if applicable). Please tell me, as I am upgrading my GPU soon and need to know if this will let me use a passive converter.

Solution
yes it is typically on the GPU, however nvidia removed the DACs from their cards in the 10xx series. the 1030 and above through the current cards will not output analog anymore.
I assume you have a card made before the DAC (HD 5770 had a DAC) were removed in which case I assume you have an analogue monitor and if my assumptions are correct you will most likely need an active converter to change signals from digital to analogue for the monitor. a powered active device.
AMD also removed analog output around when the rx 4xx series was released maybe before.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
yes it is typically on the GPU, however nvidia removed the DACs from their cards in the 10xx series. the 1030 and above through the current cards will not output analog anymore.
I assume you have a card made before the DAC (HD 5770 had a DAC) were removed in which case I assume you have an analogue monitor and if my assumptions are correct you will most likely need an active converter to change signals from digital to analogue for the monitor. a powered active device.
AMD also removed analog output around when the rx 4xx series was released maybe before.

Last edited:
Solution

TenekTek

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Ok. Thanks. Active converters are so expensive! My PC specs said it was an HD5770 which didn't work with DAC, and after updating drivers to troubleshoot, it said it was 6700 series, so I really don't know.