Where is the best place to sell used gaming PC?

eyeball27

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
Here is my current build, I've only had it for a couple of months and I'm wanting to build a new PC but have to sell my old one first. Where is the best place to sell it? Also would it be better to take it apart and sell it piece by piece?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LWxBHx

IAmTheTofu

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014

No, don't take it apart.

Some people are too lazy and have really not much knowledge of computers and they just want to game. That's why sites like iBuyPower and Alienware exist.

You could make more money by selling the whole thing on eBay or Craigslist.

A pc will usually fetch more if it is disassembled and the parts sold individually.
That is because it is unlikely that a buyer will want exactly the same pc.
Find your parts in used condition on ebay.
Then filter on completed auctions,
In green you will see what the part actually sold for.

IAmTheTofu

Honorable
Sep 20, 2014

No, I shop on auction sites a LOT. The PSU, CPU, HDD, and possibly mobo will not sell fast. I'd probably use a used mobo, but not a PSU, CPU, or HDD. Plus, it's a lot more trouble.

You're better off selling it as a whole. And you know the saying, "Building a PC is cheaper than buying one".

Disassembled is usually best when the PC is a few years old - an out of date PC will only be bought by somebody needing a basic computer for a small amount of money, whereas the parts will be bought up by people with older computers wanting to keep them going (e.g. a few months back I sold a couple of AGP graphics cards for £20-£30 each).

If the PC is much newer, as here, it's best to sell it whole. For 'nearly new' items people look at the retail price and knock some money off to account for the item being slightly used and not having the full retailer protection if things go wrong. So the best you can hope for selling disassembled is the sum of the retail parts (if you sell them all) less some percentage, whereas if you sell the PC whole you're looking at the retail price of a similar spec PC, less some percentage, the key being that the retail PC will be always be priced at more than the sum of its parts. Not to mention too that you get rid of the whole lot in one go.