[SOLVED] Where is the CAD BUS timings ?

brandonbsmith02

Reputable
Jan 2, 2018
I'm using a gigabyte ax-370 motherboard with a ryzen 1700x cpu and g.skill ram. I'm trying to overclock my ram as it's running at 2133mhz and it's rated for 3200mhz. I'm using the dram calculator and there are a few things I can't find such as the "cad bus timings" as well as the "soc voltage" unless it's refering to the soc voltage for the CPU that I've already changed when I oc my CPU. I ended up finding the cldo vddg voltage in peripherals/AMD CBS/nbio common options so yea kinda stuck rn as I don't want to try and boot for it to fail because of those settings.

Solution
Hey there,

Although Dram Calc, can be useful, for setting the speed of your DIMMS, the easiest thing is to go into your bios and look for XMP or A-XMP or something similar. Simply turn that on, and it should recognise the correct speed of your ram. However, they may not actually run at more than 2933mhz which is often the max for the IMC in 1st gen Ryzen.
Memory compatibility has been improved a lot with newer AGESA but 1st gen Ryzen's memory controller is still the worst. Getting 3200 isn't easy and still needs custom tuning the timings so I have to think setting XMP won't be very reliable, at best.

@brandonbsmith02 : Look in advanced timings for CadBus settings. But I don't think setting them will really do it if you...
Hey there,

Although Dram Calc, can be useful, for setting the speed of your DIMMS, the easiest thing is to go into your bios and look for XMP or A-XMP or something similar. Simply turn that on, and it should recognise the correct speed of your ram. However, they may not actually run at more than 2933mhz which is often the max for the IMC in 1st gen Ryzen.

brandonbsmith02

Reputable
Jan 2, 2018
Hey there,

Last time I used the xmp settings for my RAM it made my pc blue screen after EVERY boot

Hey there,

Memory compatibility has been improved a lot with newer AGESA but 1st gen Ryzen's memory controller is still the worst. Getting 3200 isn't easy and still needs custom tuning the timings so I have to think setting XMP won't be very reliable, at best.

@brandonbsmith02 : Look in advanced timings for CadBus settings. But I don't think setting them will really do it if you can't get stable. All I adjust are the big 4, Tcas, Trcd, Trp, Tras along with Trfc. Also important for higher clocks are procODT and the RTT settings. But most important of all is setting a high enough Vdimm. Don't be afraid of 1.45V, but for 24/7 I'd not go above 1.40V unless on 8gb Samsung B-bie.

That usually gets stability if it's going to happen...otherwise lower clocks a notch. Tweaking all the others settings are usually reserved for trying to tune in to the absolute lowest latency.

EDIT: oh yeah, and also Command Rate to 1t and Gear Down mode to whatever needed to make sure it happens.

Last edited:
Solution