Where is the Movies & TV app located

Status
Not open for further replies.

henry.bolte.jr

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
How do you find in which folder the Movies & TV app is located on Windows 10. I could not find it in Program Files, Program File (x86) nor the Windows folders ?

Solution
Gardenman,
Never mind, I was able to find via Google search that I could delete apps in the C;\Program Files\WindowsApps fold via Settings, then Apps, then Apps & Features.

Thanks again.

Henry

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I think the new Apps are in a hidden folder in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps and you're not suppose to have access to it for security reasons. You might be able to gain access to it, but it's probably not recommended.

While I searched and could not find a direct link to the executable, there are 2 other options for you:

Copy this and paste it into the Run dialog:
%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}
Then choose OK. This will open a special folder that will list the applications you have and allow you to create shortcuts to them. Maybe you can try using a shortcut rather than the executable file.

A 2nd option would be to copy this and paste it into the Run dialog:
explorer.exe shell:appsFolder\Microsoft.ZuneVideo_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microsoft.ZuneVideo
and choose OK to run it. If necessary, you could place this code into a batch file, then use a BAT to EXE converter to create an EXE file that would run it. [Source]

henry.bolte.jr

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017

henry.bolte.jr

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
Thanks, the first option did open a File Explorer window which pointed to a folder named "Applications" and yet, I could find no folder on my entire hard drive named Applications. When I clicked the UP ARROW, it took me to the Desktop folder, and again, there is no Applications subfolder under Desktop ?
The second option opened the Movie & TV application, but I have access to the app via the Start menu.
I really just wanted to know what folder the app was stored in.
I appreciate your help, but would still like to know.
Does anyone else know what the folder location is for the Movie & TV app ?

Incidentally, I tried to view the C:\program files\WindowsApps folder and could not view it, so I went to properties as it suggested, then Security and saw that I should have read & execute permission, but when I clicked view it indicated the access control is corrupt and I should delete it.
Is that something I should really do ???????

gardenman

Splendid
It will be located in the C:\program files\WindowsApps\ and like I said, it's a protected folder and it's best not to mess with the folder permissions. I don't know what the consequences of changing the folder permissions will be. I would not delete anything having to do with this folder. I also wouldn't attempt to open it (on my main system).

I'll open it on my test system to give you more information.

After I gave myself permission to open the folder (something which recommend not doing), I see many subfolders. Inside of these are the apps, however, they are not normal desktop applications.

image.jpg

You may find an EXE in some of the folders, but I was unable to run those due to additional permissions which I don't want to mess with.

image.jpg

Since we know that the following command will open the App, explorer.exe shell:appsFolder\Microsoft.ZuneVideo_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microsoft.ZuneVideo, then we can assume it's located in one of the 3 Microsoft.ZuneVideo folders shown above.

Running it directly may not be possible, if that is what you are looking to do.

henry.bolte.jr

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017

henry.bolte.jr

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017

henry.bolte.jr

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
Thanks for all the time you have spent with this.
Much appreciated.
I started working in IT in 1969 and leaned at the basic level back them (first language I learned was Assembler for mainframe computing), I guess I'm just not comfortable not having access as an administrator to anything on my device or not understanding how things work.
But I'm also old enough to know some times you have to accept things that don't make you happy.
Thanks again for your time, information and efforts.

gardenman

Splendid
Sorry I couldn't help much more. I really don't know much about these new Apps and I prefer regular old desktop apps myself. I only use 2 of these new apps: Edge and Settings, the rest are ignored on my system.

I also don't like having access to the files, but I guess it's for security reasons. I assume if you open that folder like I did above on my test system, you might be opening a door for malware to easily penetrate your system. Take care.

henry.bolte.jr

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017

henry.bolte.jr

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
Gardenman,
No need to be sorry, you were very helpful.
But now I have another problem with this Application folder.
I loaded the Verizon Message+ application from the Store and I am having an issue with it.
Verizon support recommended that I uninstall/reinsatll, BUT, since I don't have anything but view access, I can't.
I right mouse clicked the ICON, but only open and pin to start or taskbar are options.
Any idea how I might uninstall it ?

Henry

henry.bolte.jr

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017

henry.bolte.jr

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017
Gardenman,
Never mind, I was able to find via Google search that I could delete apps in the C;\Program Files\WindowsApps fold via Settings, then Apps, then Apps & Features.

Thanks again.

Henry

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.